VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
10,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering!

I was watching some old Motorweek reviews and couldn't help but notice the driving gloves along with the Fonz leather jacket in a lot of reviews. I had a pair back in the 90's, but I don't even remember what happened to them. Nowadays most "sports" cars come with thick Alcantara steering wheels, driving gloves are completely unnecessary and possibly awkward.

Does anyone still use "driving gloves"?

Example:

· Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,148 Posts
Unfortunately it's still a thing. I'm not talking fire resistant gloves that actual race car drivers wear as part of a full suit. I probably see 2-3 people a year at various events in nearly stock street sports cars with gloves displayed on the dash or seat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

· Registered
14,409 Posts
Unfortunately it's still a thing. I'm not talking fire resistant gloves that actual race car drivers wear as part of a full suit. I probably see 2-3 people a year at various events in nearly stock street sports cars with gloves displayed on the dash or seat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
They made/make sense on an open car (not a convertible with a cloth top) with manual steering. Steering effort can be very high (may lead to blisters on longer drives) and your hands will get cold easily. That basically only applies to sports cars made in the 1950s or earlier.

· Premium Member
7,513 Posts
If I lived in a cold weather state I'd probably have a pair. If I had some sort of old vintage car, maybe I'd have a pair. But no. If I ever do an actual track event I may purchase a pair as I tend to get sweaty palms in high focus scenarios, but even then I'm not sure it would be needed.

· Registered
4th Tower of Inverness
8,892 Posts
I probably see 2-3 people a year at various events in nearly stock street sports cars with gloves displayed on the dash or seat.
I truly hate this trend, so car-cringe.
Like...."here's my gloves on display!!!"
But if it makes others happy.....

I judge in silence. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
23,687 Posts
if it's super cold and my steering wheel warmer hasn't fully come on, yeah, i'll run gloves. i'll also do it in the s2000 with the roof down in colder weather. as far as for style? no.

I am contemplating it with an alcantara wrapped steering wheel in one of our cars though, fabric or leather on the alcantara vs the oils from your hands will keep it nicer longer.

· Registered
734 Posts
I have a pair that I'm going to use with the wooden Nardi wheel in my MGB. It's a bit silly, but marginally less embarrassing than a fedora or something, I suppose.

My MX5 had an "alcantara" wheel when I bought it. It got pretty gross pretty quick. Gloves are not the solution though, the solution is not buying alcantara steering wheels.

· Registered
32,889 Posts
I wear a set driving the 911. The steering wheel is Alcantara and my palms get a bit moist when driving in a spirited fashion.
I saw a 992 GT3 with the Alcantara wheel at the local Porsche center and at 3000 miles the wheel looked worn (fuzzy) and shiny like it had already collected a lot of sweat. I'd never pick that option myself for that reason.

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Just wondering!

I was watching some old Motorweek reviews and couldn't help but notice the driving gloves along with the Fonz leather jacket in a lot of reviews. I had a pair back in the 90's, but I don't even remember what happened to them. Nowadays most "sports" cars come with thick Alcantara steering wheels, driving gloves are completely unnecessary and possibly awkward.

Does anyone still use "driving gloves"?

Example:

Senior:

Yup! Can't drive without them! Got some from Napo in Delaware last month. Awesome gloves! Napo. These are mine.

Shoe Human body Gesture Font Sportswear

1 - 20 of 69 Posts