VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Registered
14,408 Posts
You guys wearing driving gloves also wearing branded driving shoes for proper heal-toeing to Harbor Freight?
I picked up some Pilotis on sale a few years ago and end up mostly just wearing them when working in the garage. I actually think the soles are way too thick for good feel. I prefer barefoot if possible, but I have some thin-soled shoes that are not "driving shoes" that are much better for driving.

· Registered
4,004 Posts
I have a pair that I formerly used while driving my '69 Jaguar E Type OTS, '67 Corvette convertible, and '68 Datsun Roadster. Driving these cars at night or early morning required gloves because their heaters lacked strength. The gloves weren't a fashion statement. Alas, all these cars are gone now, I no longer own any vintage convertibles, and only the gloves remain. But they served their purpose well.

Gesture Wood Finger Input device Nail

· Registered
2020 GTI, 2016 GSW (Wife)
1,905 Posts
I am reminded of the scene from Twins where the guy who was supposed to take the Cadillac calls Danny Devito's character and discusses how he was prepared for his drive which included having his driving gloves. 😁

I have never owned specific driving gloves and have never needed them. However, I drive with gloves on regularly in the winter. It's cold and my drive to work is about 12 minutes. If it's a longer drive I'll take them off once the car is comfortable again. But that's as close as I get.

· Registered
4th Tower of Inverness
8,892 Posts
You guys wearing driving gloves also wearing branded driving shoes for proper heal-toeing to Harbor Freight?
One never knows when we might come across a gentlemans disagreement in the winch isle, that leads to a good old fashioned glove slap duel.

Duel Challenge GIF - Duel Challenge Glove GIFs

· Vendor
23 Posts
Just wondering!

I was watching some old Motorweek reviews and couldn't help but notice the driving gloves along with the Fonz leather jacket in a lot of reviews. I had a pair back in the 90's, but I don't even remember what happened to them. Nowadays most "sports" cars come with thick Alcantara steering wheels, driving gloves are completely unnecessary and possibly awkward.

Does anyone still use "driving gloves"?

Example:

I like to keep gloves in my car in case of really hot or cold weather. If it's hot and the steering wheel burns to the touch, gloves come in handy. For cold weather, I like the extra warmth they provide while driving.

· Banned by John until they unbanned me
19,642 Posts
Leather driving gloves made sense when cars had wooden steering wheels. Now that cars have leather steering wheels, perhaps we need wooden driving gloves. :unsure:
I had a pair of thin leather driving gloves when I was 13 or 14 specifically because my car had a wooden steering wheel in which there was a very slight gap between the wood and metal in some places. The pinch that could occur randomly was memorable.

I didn't care to wear them because even XL gloves ended up being a little restrictive. They weren't warm when it was cold and weren't cool when it was hot.

· Registered
3,473 Posts
Way, way, back, when I was a young'n, I had a 1981 VW Jetta with an aftermarket wood steering wheel and no power steering. I used to wear FootJoy winter golf gloves for driving when the temps dropped. Super soft but durable leather, sized right, and didn't look like traditional driving gloves. Worked great.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts