VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

· Registered
99,780 Posts
My '83 Rabbit L didn't have power steering, too. No AC. Just a simple, little 1.7 L with a carb. 65 h.p. Really clean engine bay.
There was a time when sports cars didn't gave luxuries like air conditioning or reliable heat.
That was also a time when sports cars could have thin hard cold steering wheels that required a strong arm, metal shifters that eventually transmitted the transmission heat up to the knob, and lots of glass so the interior baked in the sun wen parked.
There is no need for driving gloves on anything even remotely modern.
But if drivers want to make love to a sexy car with unnecessary hand condoms, that's their right!

· Banned by John until they unbanned me
19,642 Posts
There is no need for driving gloves on anything even remotely modern.
I know this isn't what everyone drives, but I have a current model Corolla. The steering effort is comically light, steering in a parking lot with your pinky finger light.

Long ago, old men had a driving rule -- don't try to turn the steering wheel in a sitting car. Always move the car when steering.

The effort in my old MGB was high enough that doing stupid young things took some physical effort. I can recall letting go of the wheel coming out of a turn a bit sideways (it lacked the traction to do it any other way) and getting my finger a bit chewed by a wheel that unwound with a lot of force.

I'll add that the top was crappy with a cloudy rear window, and taking a scarf was easier than putting the top up in winter.

· Registered
99,780 Posts
Corbin*

And no, I don't think so.
Damn.. and now I wonder what Corbic is.
When the forums and internet first become a relatively popular thing (around 2000), I ust assumed everything on the internet would always be.
[pirate]But we now be far enough in da future to see that the cherished classic content can easily be banished to Davy Jones' locker.[/pirate]
Sorry.. wading through heavy rains again has made me think like a pirate this morning.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts