VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm debating what I do for a lower stress bar on my presently all stock 84 GTI and I'm trying to get a better understanding of the SCCA rules for lower stress bar bracing.

In particular, I need to figure out if I could install a 16v Scirocco K-Bar or a Eurosport 4 point bar.

I am talking about this piece FYI:

http://www.eurosportacc.com/collections/mk1/products/18035

So I'm reading up on the SCCA rule book and it has the following to say about strut bars and lower suspension braces:

G. Strut bars per Section 12 are permitted with all types of suspension,
subject to the following constraints:

1. a 2-point strut bar may be added, removed, modified, or substituted,
but only with another 2-point strut bar.

2. A triangulated (3-point) strut bar may be removed, modified, or
substituted; substitution may be with either a triangulated or a
2-point strut bar. The connection to the chassis (i.e., firewall, bulkhead,
etc) must be in the standard location.

3. Lower suspension braces must be attached to the lower suspension
pickup point locations on the chassis within 2” (50.8mm) in
any direction of the actual suspension attachment to the chassis.

4. Except for standard parts, no connections to other components
are permitted.

Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only bolt-on attachment
is permitted. Interior trim panels may be modified to allow
installation of strut bars. Holes or slots may be no larger than necessary
and may serve no other purpose. This does not permit any
modifications to the frame or unibody beyond the allowed mounting
holes.
So I now feel more confused for having read the rules. :banghead:

Does section 3 imply that it can ONLY be a 2 point connection?

Should I take the "must be attached to the lower suspension
pickup point locations on the chassis within 2” (50.8mm) in any direction of the actual suspension attachment to the chassis" to mean that the K-bar or Eurosport 4 point bar would be illegal?

And how about Section 4? Does the "Except for standard parts, no connections to other components are permitted" imply that I couldn't go from the LCA attachment to the frame horn like the K-bar would?

·
Registered
809 Posts
My interpretation of the rules has always been that the K-bar is:
- Allowed in Street Modified and Prepared
- NOT allowed in stocks, street touring, or street prepared

SCCA rules can be tricky, like deciphering a foreign language, but that has always been my understanding. The triangulation is what gets you so the 2 point will have to suffice.

That said, the k-bar does make the chassis stiffer and I felt was a noticeable improvement to my Rabbit over the 2 point brace so if you hear contrary to what I say, I would definitely not hesitate installing the brace. I have the exact same 4 point brace and it is worth every penny.

Edit, the older rule book I have uses a bit different wording 17.8.G states the bars can only be mounted "transversely" which is why I've always felt the k-bar doesn't qualify. Clearly, the wording has changed, but it appears the spirit of the rule hasn't.

Good luck with your build. Rabbits can still be fast. My little bunny earned me FTD and top pax several times this year which isn't bad for a 30yr old car :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
My interpretation of the rules has always been that the K-bar is:
- Allowed in Street Modified and Prepared
- NOT allowed in stocks, street touring, or street prepared

SCCA rules can be tricky, like deciphering a foreign language, but that has always been my understanding. The triangulation is what gets you so the 2 point will have to suffice.

That said, the k-bar does make the chassis stiffer and I felt was a noticeable improvement to my Rabbit over the 2 point brace so if you hear contrary to what I say, I would definitely not hesitate installing the brace. I have the exact same 4 point brace and it is worth every penny.

Edit, the older rule book I have uses a bit different wording 17.8.G states the bars can only be mounted "transversely" which is why I've always felt the k-bar doesn't qualify. Clearly, the wording has changed, but it appears the spirit of the rule hasn't.

Good luck with your build. Rabbits can still be fast. My little bunny earned me FTD and top pax several times this year which isn't bad for a 30yr old car :thumbup:
if you run a stock scirocco k-bar, it MIGHT be permissible via update/backdate since it attaches to stock mounting points and is a factory part. you can run a stock k-bar in street prepared, however an aftermarket bar, as long as it attaches to factory points is very get-away-with-able, unless you're planning on taking the car to nationals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts