VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of 16" NB rims with well worn SP8000s. No one seems to want these wheels for more than $200, so I'm considering just keeping them for autocross. Is there any sense to using these tires for autocross (since they are approximating slicks) or is this just a dumb idea, other than it would save my street tires?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Re: Are shot tires any good? (danix)

I run a pair of old Bridgestone RE71 tires on the front of my car for autocross. They're so bald that the first "layer" of tread has worn away and it looks like blisters showing up. They have no cords showing and there is measurable tread in at least 2 places, so they are legal for SCCA Solo competition. The are a 140 wear rating tire, although they feel a bit harder than that now, but I think they still have more grip than my 340 wear rating Kumho ECSTA 712's with about 4/32nds remaining.
I'd say go for it. No worries about overdriving the car, lighting it up off the line, going full lock into turns and sideways out of turns. Should be a lot of fun to abuse those tires!

·
Banned
2,938 Posts
Re: Are shot tires any good? (towerymt)

it will work..
it's not the same as REAL slicks.. not the same coupound etc..
but will work for a while.. try it out and see how it works..
again will work for a while.. that might meen 2 runs, that might meen 15runs

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Re: Are shot tires any good? (Wheel Man VW)

Quote, originally posted by Wheel Man VW »
again will work for a while.. that might meen 2 runs, that might meen 15runs

If the tires have visible tread, meaning not smooth like a slick, it will last for quite a few events. I've done at least a half dozen events @4runs per and one auto-x school on my bald tires which were bald on the inner shoulder when I started, and they still haven't corded. If the car doesn't have enough camber, it may chew through the outside edge before the rest of the tread wears, but I would expect them to last a season.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks. I'm sure they will hold up as there is still around 2/32 of tread. I'm just not sure if they will stick or not. Certainly they will save my new ES100 from excessive wear, but how would the two compare in terms of grip?

·
Registered
338 Posts

Once I wanted to see how far you could wear out some old r1 bfg tires.
I got the front tires to show cords on the first run.It was a slow low speed auto cross so I ran them for the second round and they corded all the way around on both sides.I ran them a third time and they got out of round.
The moral of this story is if you see cords stop running the car and be carefull with the tires until you can deflate them as they could blow up in your face

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Are shot tires any good? (a2racer)

Yeesh.
So as tires like the SP8000 lose their tread, do they get stickier or not, for autocross purposes? In terms of times, am I going to run a better time with worn SP8000s or newish ES100s?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

Old worn tires will have been heat cycled many times, so they won't be nearly as sticky as when they were new.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Re: Are shot tires any good? (a2racer)

Re: Are shot tires any good?
So you want to know if bad tires are good? Kinda answered your own question, didn't ya....
Worn out tires are exactly that...don't waste your time

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: Are shot tires any good? (gtiordie)

Gotta agree, as far as grip, in my experience old tires are a lot harder and less sticky than new ones. Don't feel bad, second race this season a guy came with the "autocross specials" treadwear rating 80, and forced us all to match him. So now I have a dedicated set of autocross tires.
My advice: keep the wheels and put a set of good autocross tires on, whatever is allowed under the rules.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Quote, originally posted by towerymt »
Old worn tires will have been heat cycled many times, so they won't be nearly as sticky as when they were new.

ditto.
the issue really isn't the tread depth...some folks shave their tires from the get-go...the issue is if the rubber compound and if they have been heat cycled out or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts