VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our 2007 lights are very discolored and while I polished one and had fine results I was curious if there was any list feedback on these upgraded ones with LED DRL's and black housing....

Amazon by VIPMOTOZ , states lense material is glass....really? Feedback here also states the low beam isn't bright as compared to stock...OEM has 2 low beam bulbs, and this has only 1....I doubt the OEM 2nd low beam bulb is anything other than a daytime or parking light anyway. If they are truly glass I am interested. Listing specifically states bulb not included, re-use stock H7

Ebay - by DT Moto (aka Dream Team Motorsport) I have a text in with them about glass or plastic leanse as well as brightness...as some of the customers claimed about the amazon one which look identical.

Anyhow, I would really appreciate any list feedback. One thing I see is the plug isn't fashioned into the house like the stock which pleases me because getting the stock config to click in and make a contact isn't always so easy as most of us may know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might shoot Daniel Stern (Daniel Stern Lighting) and email and ask the expert. Most of the aftermarket lights are not upgrades at all rather the opposite. When they speak of the glass lens they are talking about the concentrator lens only the outside lens will be plastic like all the rest. I replaced lights on both my daughter's Beetles and stuck with the factory OEM parts. I don't regret my decision after looking at the knockoffs i replaced in other cars.

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,182 Posts
I got a set of those almost five years ago for our 07 NBC. They’re (plexi) glass lenses . They’re a huge improvement over the oem units.

Shop for a set of H7 PIAA bulbs to install before you install the new headlights. I got mine from the place on eBay. They’ve gone up $50. No biggie. I say PIAA because they last and they’re about 20% brighter then the other so called “super star” brands.

The running/ LED’s only come on with the running lights or headlights turned on. I never monkey’d with a bypass because the car beeps if you leave the lights on when exiting.

For safety the running lights will keep you from getting clobbered compared to the anemic OEM set up. Also order headlight film like lamin-x because they begin to peel after about a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
responses indicate a split, one in favor, one not.

Since returns are free, I could replace and do a side by side comparison and send back if they are craptastic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
responses indicate a split, one in favor, one not.

Since returns are free, I could replace and do a side by side comparison and send back if they are craptastic.
Vehicle lights (Halogen/HD vs. LED) is a polarizing topic. I am older (60) so I am admittedly biased. I do not like the light LEDs offer both from a driving and on-coming perspective the light is too white/blue for my tastes and with few exceptions is too broad in that the light washes out the terrain in front of the vehicle. In addition I find most LED lights do not project out far enough. I do a lot of cross country driving and much prefer the Halogen lights. The light is more "natural" and they project out further (without the wash) even on low beams. Be your own judge. While driving at night look at other cars and see for yourself. Without brights or those stupid and very illegal light bars look at the light projected in front of the cars with LEDs and Halogen bulbs if the lights are aimed properly (either type) I think you will see what I am talking about when I say "wash out". Anyway, your idea of trying both sound great to me. Pick the lights that suite your tastes and driving style. In my opinion lights are supposed to do one thing and that is to help you see where you are going so I gravitate to the technology that best helps me achieve that goal. :) Just cuz it is new does not make it better conversely just because it is old does not make it worse (or better) either. Seriously email Daniel he is a real expert not just an internet pundit. He will inform you as to the science behind lighting.
This is a great information packed article for your info:

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,182 Posts
The headlights mentioned in the first post are copies of the 2012+ highline option. The LED is the running light. They’re optioned for HID in EU but halogen in the States.

07-10 aftermarket …

Factory 12+ OEM headlights

·
Registered
2011 GTI Autobahn Edition | Stage II by Stratified + Cobb
56 Posts
The headlights mentioned in the first post are copies of the 2012+ highline option. The LED is the running light. They’re optioned for HID in EU but halogen in the States.

07-10 aftermarket …

Factory 12+ OEM headlights

personally i like the look of them i think they match the newer oem ones, if you like them i say get them. i bought new r8 style headlights for my old a4 and it changed the entire look of the car.

and fyi LED lights can be very beneficial but it’s all about the color temperature. around 6000K they match halogens and natural sunlight, this is their peak brightness. these headlights are much more common than you think because of how similar they are to halogens, yet they are more effective. above around 6000K, with the 10000K, or even 12000K stupid blue headlights you see on blacked out Dodges and WRXs are nothing but cop bait. they aren’t nearly as effective and will fade completely out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ever considered a hid conversation? That's the way to in my experience.
I've heard bad things doing HID when using an unfocused non projector housing. I did order the led DRL lights that emulate the last newest beetle design from Amazon....should be here Wednesday so I will do a side by side comparison and post my results.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lights arrived, install was as easy as it could be given the over engineering fail of the stock beetle headlight retainer/adjustment system. Not a fault of the aftermarket upgraded headlights but pls let me vent about how poor a design the stock adjustment and double cam retention system is.

Anyway, on to the results. Driver side is the new one and aimed where it should be....pass side I didn't bother because it was that bad. (BTW the pass side stock lense has been polished to 95% clarity so not terribly hazy. I am only using GE H7 bulbs here fellas, nothing fancy...its what I had in the old lights and they matched. Judge for yourself but the winner is clear in both high and low.

My Aftermarket vs Stock New Beetle Headlight test on youtube

1 - 11 of 11 Posts