VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i've been looking into getting an aftermarket muffler and getting some 2.25 pipe welded on my 87 Golf GL 8v. I've been told this and an eventual downpipe will give me a little more torque and a nice sound. Now the exact words of the Muffler man were "You can't get anymore horsepower out of this car, it's a Volkswagen." Granted it's not a GTI, but c'mon! can this be true? he said if i was still running through my cat it wouldn't make any difference what was welded on behind it. He also said i couldn't fit a higher flow cat in there, i was thinking like one out of a later model GTI or something.
Have any of you done this with your 8v? Any suggestions on what to do? should i just bite the bullet and buy a techtonics? are these guys just biased against VWs or maybe they dont think they'll make enough profit just welding me some pipe? indulge me . . .

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: Are the people at the muffler shop idiots? or is it me? (ginsingVW)

Uhh...I don't want to explain, cause I didn't really understand exactly what you were trying to say about the exhaust.
Yes, you can get more hp by putting on an aftermarket exhaust.
Yes, you could fit on a high-flo cat.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: Are the people at the muffler shop idiots? or is it me? (Tornado Wolfie)

Well, from what I've heard, just changing out the system from the cat back can gain power. It sounds to me like muffler man is a moron

You don't get as much as you would with a full change, but an increase at least.
You have the single outlet exhaust manifold, right? Yeah, that sucks dookey. Well, I can't say that for sure...everyone tells me it is dookey

The dual outlet manifold seems to be the popular choice. If your 87 GL is like mine, with the GX engine, then there are worse things restricting your flow than the exhaust, like the head, but your downpipe is one-piece with the cat.
What I did, because I couldn't afford a high flow cat, was to just skip it, run a dual outlet manifold, a TT race downpipe (longer, no cat) and then a TT cat back system. This let me pay a little more for the race DP, and get away with nothing for the cat. Otherwise, I'd need the regular DP for a little less, but then $300+ for a high flow cat.
Maybe you can find a used dual outlet manifold and downpipe, buy a new cat for it (or maybe find a used one, if it is legal there), and then add on the exhaust after that. Or, $165 for the Race TT DP, $50-ish for a used manifold, then whatever for the straight pipe up to a muffler....which will be loud with no resonators or cat on it. So people say. I have no cat, 2 resonators, a Borla muffler, and I don't think it is very loud. I plan on dropping the center resonator and just going straight pipe

Broke

·
Registered
330 Posts

Start at the engine. Find out if your car came stock with a dual downpipe cause there real easy to find. The dual downpipe manifold and the dual downpipe are worth at least 10hp minimum. After that get a cat converter from a Corrado. Those are the bigger ones. Then aim for a 2.25in. cat back exhaust best from Techtonics. Take all your parts to a somewhat reputable exhaust shop and see if they'll install your stuff with just paying their labor. Then go back to the other shop that you speak of an see if that guy wants to go for a ride. May the force be with you. By the way they're probably not biased just ********. Did he have a mullet?

[Modified by Red Sled 138, 8:42 PM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Are the people at the muffler shop idiots? or is it me? (Red Sled 138)

quote:[HR][/HR]Start at the engine. Find out if your car came stock with a dual downpipe cause there real easy to find. The dual downpipe manifold and the dual downpipe are worth at least 10hp minimum. After that get a cat converter from a Corrado. Those are the bigger ones. Then aim for a 2.25in. cat back exhaust best from Techtonics. Take all your parts to a somewhat reputable exhaust shop and see if they'll install your stuff with just paying their labor. Then go back to the other shop that you speak of an see if that guy wants to go for a ride. May the force be with you. By the way they're probably not biased just ********. Did he have a mullet?

[Modified by Red Sled 138, 8:42 PM 12-5-2001][HR][/HR]​
HAHAHA . . . no mullet, but there was the looming odor of dip about him . . .

Thanks though. i think i will start with the engine and move back. You've changed my whole perspective . .. either that or just get the muffler for now and then get the other stuff later. thanks!

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

An 87 Golf GL? I doubt he has the dual outlet manifold...he probably has the same ride I do, and it'll have a GX engine in it with the smaller valves in the head, and the crappy single out manifold, with the one-piece DP/cat

If you do score a used dual outlet manifold, see about getting the head off of the donor car, as it'll likely have the larger intake valves...it depends on the engine code really.
Broke

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: Are the people at the muffler shop idiots? or is it me? (Broke)

i would never take my car to a place that talked to me like that.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts

The muffler guy is...
Call the nice folks at Techtonics, they can set you straight on what works. Downpipe, cat, cat back exhaust...all that stuff.
I installed the downpipe myself and had the local muffler perfectionist install the cat-back. Last piece will be a high flow cat.
Good luck,
fat biker

·
Registered
390 Posts
Re: Are the people at the muffler shop idiots? or is it me? (1992jetta-2)

quote:[HR][/HR]
i dunno but i know from experience muffler guys dont know anyhting and are always overpriced.. the feel u get when u walk into that cold office with the ahrd tile floor and fogged up windows.. kinda makes u feel uneasy[HR][/HR]​
Must be some sorry a$$ muffler shops in canada... or maybe you went into a 7-11 in the middle of the summer... Who knows..

·
Banned
3,321 Posts
Re: Are the people at the muffler shop idiots? or is it me? (WiteMK2)

eh eh what's the deal with the canada bitching?!???
take your car somewhere else, he doesn't deserve your money, that's how you deal with it and tell the next guy that you're coming to him because the other guy was an a$$, he'll be nice to you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts