VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Re: Are the R32 4motion and MK1 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro same Haldex? (scrappy62)

this question... again? the MkI TT and MkIV R32 share the same platform.
The MkII TT and MkV R32 share the same platform.
What specifically are you getting at? front vs rear bias?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Are the R32 4motion and MK1 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro same Haldex? (VWNDAHS)

Yes, is there a bias? I'm looking at either the MK1 (04-06) 3.2 TT or an 08 R32. Please elaborate on the differences.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Re: Are the R32 4motion and MK1 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro same Haldex? (scrappy62)

primary difference should be two different generations of haldex, though keep in mind the TT will be lighter... and most likely a steal right now. R32 should be quite a bit of fun and a lot more usable in general... oh and brand new... and stiffer.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

thank you. So, am I correct in what you are getting at when you say the new Haldex in the 08 RR32 is rear biased whereas the older generation of 3.2 TT quattro is more front wheel biased?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts

Quote, originally posted by scrappy62 »
... So, am I correct ..?

no.
the haldex system in the mk1 TT & mk4 R32, and the haldex system in the mk2 TT & mk5 R32
are both front biased. varies from 100% front, to 50-50.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts

thank you. So, am I correct in what you are getting at when you say the new Haldex in the 08 RR32 is rear biased whereas the older generation of 3.2 TT quattro is more front wheel biased?

Boki's right, I didn't say that, just that it's a newer controller in the MkV platform.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ok, thank you. Please elaborate. on the difference. I'm not interested in the MKIV R32. I never mentioned that car. I appreciate your insight.

Modified by scrappy62 at 7:47 PM 2-28-2009

·
Registered
4,322 Posts

MKIV Less aggressive (includes Audi TT of same Generation)
MKV more aggressive and more power to the rear (remembering 65/35 max), but still Haldex. IE... FWD bias.
Audi TT and R32 of both Gens are the same.
And of course searching both Forums will provide the ultimate answer for You.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

^^ NOT 65/35 max. Haldex can split up to 50% of the power to the rear, AFAIK.
I don't know that MkV / Haldex "gen 2" is any more "aggressive" from the factory than the gen 1 haldex though...

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Re: FV-QR (ZPrime)

Quote, originally posted by ZPrime »
^^ NOT 65/35 max. Haldex can split up to 50% of the power to the rear, AFAIK.
I don't know that MkV / Haldex "gen 2" is any more "aggressive" from the factory than the gen 1 haldex though...

The MkIV Golf-platform cars (old A3Q, old S3, MkIV R32, etc.) come with the GenI Haldex controller from the factory. These cars could be upgraded with either the Blue or Orange GenI HPP (Haldex Performance Part).
The MkV Golf-platform cars (new A3Q, new TT, MkV R32, etc.) come with the GenII Haldex controller from the factory. While similar in design, the two controllers differ in that the latter is tied into the vehicle's CAN network, and therefore uses more signals to determine when and how much torque to apply to the Haldex clutch pack (and thus to what % the rear is tied to the front, i.e. 100% = 50/50 torque distribution). Thanks to this CAN integration, the GenII controller is slightly more proactive than its GenI counterpart.
MkV cars using the GenII controller can be upgraded with the GenII HPP. This unit has three programs in memory: stock, sport, and race. It can be fitted to the car without a switch, in which case it will be in by-default sport mode. This program applies more torque faster to the Haldex clutch pack than the stock program does, meaning the rear diff is tied to the front more quickly and to a higher degree. This, in turn, makes for less understeer and a more "planted" feeling.
Oh my bad, 50/50 is as good as it gets. I must've been thinking Lambo.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Re: (justinperkins)

Quote, originally posted by justinperkins »
... all haldex systems have FWD bias, ...

nope.
the veyron is haldex, and rear wheel biased.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Re: (boki-san)

Quote, originally posted by boki-san »

nope.
the veyron is haldex, and rear wheel biased.

oh come on, you can't bring up an esoteric example like that and not mention the glaringly obvious caveat
fine boki, all haldex systems have a "axle that is closest to the engine" bias

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Re: (justinperkins)

Quote, originally posted by justinperkins »
oh come on, ...

you said "all".
and this topic has been hashed out so many times, i figured it'd be fun to make a wrinkle

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Re: (boki-san)

Quote, originally posted by boki-san »

you said "all".
and this topic has been hashed out so many times, i figured it'd be fun to make a wrinkle

Lol, w00t. 30k transmissions and 30k awd systems in a 30k car discussion ftw. +1 Veyron mentioning point for u good sir

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Re: (scrappy62)

Which would you prefer and why?

Well i'd defo prefer the Veyron over the R32, but the daily drive MPG would kill me....
On a more serious note. Why do you keep on with the silly questions?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (sparkstack)

I'm asking this because if it's similar, I'd lean to the 04-06 audi tt 3.2. I'm turning 30 next month and getting married in May. The tt just seems more mature. I'm the original owner of a jazz blue 20th AE GTI, and I'm starting to feel like I'm growing out of it.
The only thing that bugs me about the tt though, is for a sports car, it doesn't feel like one. The new R32 drives more like a sports car. Either way, one of these cars will be my next vehicle soon.

Modified by scrappy62 at 1:50 PM 3-1-2009

1 - 20 of 44 Posts