VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: are there any 6-speed trannys for the 12v VR6? (wanarado)

yes, quaife makes a six speed fpr the 02A. Call autotech sport tuning , they are the national distributor.
Ed-92SLC

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Re: are there any 6-speed trannys for the 12v VR6? (Ed Casey)

Autotech is the place, and they are a lot of money..... like $3k-$4k

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Re: are there any 6-speed trannys for the 12v VR6? (wanarado)

As far as I know, Quaife makes a 6-speed *gearset* for the 02A transmission, not a complete transmission (you must provide the bell housing, shafts, synchronizers, etc.). If you have someone else do the work, going the Quaife route will cost you around $6,000. Ouch.
Eurospec Sport (http://www.eurospecsport.com) sells a number of complete 6-speed 02A transmissions for the 12-valve VR6 engine. For example, an OEM 02A transmission with Eurospec's 6-speed add-on costs $2,975 (plus at least another $500 for installation). Still not cheap.
Finally, if you can rebuild your own transmission, Eurospec sells the 6-speed add-on parts separately for about $1,500.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: are there any 6-speed trannys for the 12v VR6? (Kenji)

I have the quaife syncromesh 6speed in my corrado. It is an awesome gear kit the acceleration is unbelieveable it totally transformed my car. My only complaint is that first gear is a little doggy but look out once you get into second.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: are there any 6-speed trannys for the 12v VR6? (phatvr6)

Hey Rabbit Stew,
Is that Quaife 6-speed setup very loud? I've heard some describe it as a cool sound, like a supercharger whine, while others seem down on the noise. I've never heard or shifted one myself, but they do intrigue me. Oh how they intrigue me...

Also, how complete is the setup from Quaife? Can you get one all ready to go, with everything including the LSD, or is it a many-staged process? And, the obligatory: What did it all cost? 4-6 grand range?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: are there any 6-speed trannys for the 12v VR6? (1stMulberryVR6)

Yes, it definitley has a cool whining sound in all the gears. But the dog engagement box is louder. Quaife has a sick vw tranny with a case and all but that is really really big money. In my case I had a quaife diff first then I upgraded to the gear kit. I got a good deal on the parts and did all the work myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts