VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other then the pretty colors and $$$ is there a diff in Neuspeed, Eurospeed, OEM wires. I have stock and after 2 yrs I am arcing a bit. Do aftermarket prevent that cause i know the HP is a gimmick..

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Re: Are there "arcproof" spark plug wires ??? (BarneeVRTEC)

nothing that i know of is 'arc proof.'
but the differences between the wires other than cost and colour are internal... 8mm or 9mm... i even think there are some 10mm wires out there. some claim that the only difference is the amount of coating around the wires. i've yet to see anyone chop up the sets to determine if there's any truth to that.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: Are there "arcproof" spark plug wires ??? (AxeYrCat)

Definitely no such thing as "arcproof". If you put a high enough voltage on that wire, it can arc. Any good set of wires will not arc under normal circumstances. In that respect, you should be fine buying virtually any brand of wires. If you're arcing now, then, the insulation is failing somehow (cracked, dry rotted, etc.) or the wire might be pulling off the connector to the spark plug, exposing wire.
As far as delivering a quality spark, look into lower resistance wires. The thicker the wire, the lower the internal resistance -> less voltage drop across the wire -> higher voltage at the plugs.
A thicker wire is not necessarily better! All else equal, then yes, thicker is better. But other factors such as wire/connector quality come into play too. If you're looking for a recommendation, here it is - stick to stock. Most everyone I've talked to agree that the stock wires are better than most aftermarket sets available. Quality BERU connectors, nice construction. And no, they won't arc.
hth,
patrick

[Modified by pwellen, 10:09 AM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: Are there "arcproof" spark plug wires ??? (BarneeVRTEC)

BERU is a good brand of connectors. They make the stock ones, so I guess you can get a set from the dealer. Probably a bunch of other places too.
good luck,
patrick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.