VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All -
Are there ever any meet up events with this group?

Some of my favorite people were met on random car events held in different parts of the county. The 914 Porsche group is perfect example. There are 3-4 events every year in different parts of the county. Most are 4 days: 1 travel day, two days of driving/hanging out/meals/etc, then a travel day back home. Most nights usually end up around a bonfire telling stories/talking cars. There are awards given for different categories (came from farthest away, best paint, dirtiest car, etc) but its not a "real" car show, usually just for a lark and the trophies are home made. As the events got bigger, we were even able to get some parts manufactures to donate stuff for a raffle at the final nights dinner.
On the 914 web page there is a central thread that includes everything from the planning stages to people posting pictures getting their cars ready, then of the actual event.
Here are some examples:

I use the 914 group as an example as the personalities are very similar for the most part - car guys that turn their own wrenches and get dirty. Lots of jeans and t-shirts.Its fun as hell. I have some 20+ year friendships tied to this group.

The reason I ask is that a pile of folks here have helped me with stuff over the past years. I thought it would be cool to meet up and have a beer in person and see some cars.

·
Registered
Eight diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
1,372 Posts
Would be nice. I almost hosted a 1st off mini get together and cruze for spring of last year before the whole pandemic thing. What Irony for me on my 1st attempt to organize a car based gathering. I think I might pass on this spring too, but eventually I do hope that we could have something like that.

There are a few on the East Coast, but something west of the Rockies would be nice for me. Even eastern slope could be OK. Let me just throw this out there: MK1 Pike's Peak climb cruze. ..

Reactions: El Scotto

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm a little surprised there is not more to the VW crowd in Northern CA to be honest given how active it used to be. Maybe it's time to shake the tree a bit?! Hope to make the next NorCal coastal drive for the first time if it happens this year. There are alot of Mustang regional events that I participate in but I have to be selective as they sometimes involve sideshow/racing stuff which I'm not into. I've found new friends participating in "Cars an Coffee" stuff too as those are on the rise but almost never any VW folks there. I've met PatLew, theGave, and DerekSpratt when he drove through so if you are ever in the area hit me up!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If it's in my bed [truck bed] then I would have to take a spin. Those with diesels, you better have a turbo. But then again, you can always hang with me at my pace on my bike.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,295 Posts
MK1 Madness?

Cincy Scirocco GTG?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
not mk1-specific but the two largest west coast events for A1- and A2era VWs are Old School GTG in the CA Bay Area in spring and Bonelli GTG in SoCal in the fall. Bonelli GTG was kicked out of its namesake, Bonelli Park, a couple of years ago but they were able to find an alternate location in 2019 (and '18?). People have come from AZ WA and MX for Bonelli.

east coast VW scene definitely seems more active, ironically, given CA’s self-professed importance in car culture.

kooshie’s planned gathering seemed like a really good compromise for our PNW friends and I was really looking forward to experiencing the emerald triangle roads.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If it's in my bed [truck bed] then I would have to take a spin. Those with diesels, you better have a turbo. But then again, you can always hang with me at my pace on my bike.
I was thinking of using a medical oxygen supplement bottle ported into the intake.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
The A1 Classic in St. Augustine, FL. is a mk1 event. I think this year was the 9th year. Not much turnout because of Covid apparently.
But a good place to have it and there has been a good turnout in years past.
There's the very long running Scirocco GTG in Cincinnati every year too.

I guess it depends on where you live.

·
Registered
22,383 Posts
Let's have a track day, oh wait.. that's be like 7-10 of us, hmm, or massive field BBQ. Shoot, I'll host the massive field BBQ here in Texas on my property. Free camping lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,383 Posts
Lol I walked that a ton. Loved it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Nah just a track day somewhere but for A1 and A2 era cars. Doesn’t even have to be an exclusive track day, just set aside one run group for Bonelli-age cars. I can think of a couple track cars in the Bay Area that would qualify.

·
Registered
22,383 Posts
I have a private track near me that I;'m a memeber of that would be a great middle point and phenomenal facility.. Here in good ol central Texas. It was repaved less than 6 months ago, which widened and smoothed it as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts