VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that I started to think about a bunch lately was how wild this forum was about 10+ yrs ago. The number of builds and traffic was always what made me not only come back to see what's up, but to post also...

With that being said, why is it so dead in here?

Do I just have to come to terms with the fact that Mk3s are 23+ years old, and there just isn't the volume of ownership?
Was everyone "in their prime" 10 yrs ago, and now have less time due to kids, homeownership, and adulting?
Are you bored of it and have moved on to other things? Into motorcycles, grills, and foraging for mushrooms now?
Is Facebook your platform now?

I can tell there are some lurkers considering the posts in "Any old school guys left?" - so seems like a lot of folks are here, just not here.

Seems like a lot of "love" has moved to Facebook, but it's such a scattered mess. I don't see how any build can exist there. Every post or share lives and dies the same day.

Personally, I had a phase of moving, getting engaged, buying a house and all KINDS of adult stuff over the last 6 years. But now I'm ready as ever.

I want to buy a POS to work on, I want it to be a Mk3, and I want to take pics and post them like it's 1999.

Tell me, where have you gone, and why?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I’m still here but doing my “build” over on IG. I never think to come here and post stuff because of it being so dead. Maybe as I actually start putting the engine together I’ll throw some stuff here… but I don’t think anyone wants to see a stock VR get refreshed

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I'm out of the mk3 game, but still hang out here to see what's up and help if I can. Yes, a lot of it has gone to FB, but it sucks. One of these days I'll resurrect my build over in the Cabriolet forum and get back to work on that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m still here but doing my “build” over on IG. I never think to come here and post stuff because of it being so dead. Maybe as I actually start putting the engine together I’ll throw some stuff here… but I don’t think anyone wants to see a stock VR get refreshed
If you build it, they will come, no?

And I think you'd be surprised about that VR6 refresh. My standards have dropped... I'm at the point where I'd click on a thread where someone is wining about the forum being dead. And no one wants to click on a thread about a forum being dead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do I just have to come to terms with the fact that Mk3s are 23+ years old, and there just isn't the volume of ownership?
Was everyone "in their prime" 10 yrs ago, and now have less time due to kids, homeownership, and adulting?
Are you bored of it and have moved on to other things? Into motorcycles, grills, and foraging for mushrooms now?
I wasn't here 10 years ago, but I would say that all of the above sounds reasonable. Life happens and people move on.

I'll add my vote for 2slo.GTI posting his VR6 refresh here. I don't have a VR6 in my Jetta, but I will happily follow along anyway. I can always learn something watching others even if the parts aren't exactly the same as what I am working on.

Mark

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't here 10 years ago, but I would say that all of the above sounds reasonable. Life happens and people move on.
Probably it. I forget that 10yrs ago I didn't have much to do but tinker with the car and sit on the forum all day. I miss seeing all the builds though. I suppose all the new junkies that are coming into the picture have mk3s all the way at the bottom in terms of what car they want to be in.

Wish I never crushed the Jetta... Smh.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I had an opportunity to buy mine back cheap, but I took everything off that made it what I wanted before I sold it, so I would have been starting back at square one. I didn't need another project (read time and money suck), so I passed. Less than a year later I found it in a junkyard. It had one tire in the 'yard when I bought it and brought it back. I had it 5 years, and it made it another 5 years and 3 owners after me and was over 300k miles. Saving it and giving it another 10 years and 150k was good.

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had an opportunity to buy mine back cheap, but I took everything off that made it what I wanted before I sold it, so I would have been starting back at square one. I didn't need another project (read time and money suck), so I passed. Less than a year later I found it in a junkyard. It had one tire in the 'yard when I bought it and brought it back. I had it 5 years, and it made it another 5 years and 3 owners after me and was over 300k miles. Saving it and giving it another 10 years and 150k was good.

Ya when mine went it was done. Literally just the shell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am doing a build right now. Purchased in February and did a lot of work on it until April. About $3000 in parts for things like oil change, steel oil pan, drilled hole rotors, brake pads, new front suspension kit including tie rods, valve cover gasket, coil pack, badgeless grill, vr6 spoiler lip, and things along those lines. Lots of maintenance and fixing oil leaks and banged up parts from previous owners. Almost all bolts and screws for all the projects had to be replaced due to stripping from previous owners. I will start posting more again once I do a little more work. Trying to decide if I get the car painted and work on interior or keep working on performance and finish that before restoring the rest of the appearance

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am doing a build right now. Purchased in February and did a lot of work on it until April. About $3000 in parts for things like oil change, steel oil pan, drilled hole rotors, brake pads, new front suspension kit including tie rods, valve cover gasket, coil pack, badgeless grill, vr6 spoiler lip, and things along those lines. Lots of maintenance and fixing oil leaks and banged up parts from previous owners. Almost all bolts and screws for all the projects had to be replaced due to stripping from previous owners. I will start posting more again once I do a little more work. Trying to decide if I get the car painted and work on interior or keep working on performance and finish that before restoring the rest of the appearance
I’m with you man. I got a 98 GLX. Same stuff. Getting through all of the gremlins for emissions. Haven’t been in an mk3 for over 20 years. Feels great

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, I am wasting one of my essay long 8 rants I had left to be able to purchase a part from Classifieds and wait 8 more days hoping it will still be available so I can acknowledge and agree with your poins here. I believe some of your reasonings are valid points. Too many of us have more responsibilities than we had 20 years ago, or have other interests and have moved on.
I lament our changing times and our aging bodies that our 20 year old minds have not yet caught up with.
I lament the loss of free time for projects we wish to do and enjoy while we are young enough to still do so.
I lament the loss of our favorite machines. Mine were 1968-74 Chargers and Road Runners, 1969 Cougars, 1972-74 AMX, early 1970s Trans Ams, 1959 Impalas the Pinto Mini Van and 1964-1977 Chevelles and El Caminos. And of course old Beetles, kit cars and Baja Bugs.
Collectors screwed us there because every time we bought one they became more noticed and the rich pricks saw $ signs. I laugh when the market drops out from under their greedy bungholes and they cannot dump their $70k 4 door Darts on the market for $5k.
But there are other reasons as well. I just posted one and will share briefly its content and reasonings.
The forum has been reconstructed. Many changes have occurred, some of which may be alienating some members and prospective members
1) No more lifetime Memberships. The existing ones are still valid so those members can coast thru for free until 5 generations of their ancestors, just like Dear Abby, are finally traveling thru outer space to other planet and are now into Archillian Criusers. We as new members are now required to pay $19.95/yr to be Premium members so we can have a couple new benefits and the title Premium Member by our stage names and avatars. Of course that will be a new insurgence of $ from people who either want those other benefits or the "Prestige" of having Premium Member next to their stage names and avatars
2) Arbitrary rules affecting new members and treating them unfairly in comparison to seasoned veterans. For instance the new rule that you cannot purchase from Classifieds here until you have 10 posts and wait 10 days. The excuse is scammers but one member let it slip about his disgust toward lurkers buying from the Classifieds. I can only ass-ume that one lurker bought something he wanted before he had a chance to and now he has a problem with "Lurkers". Who knows, I may wait out my probationary period and write my 10 essays so I can sell "I am a Lurker" t shirts, hats and bandanas. Maybe even underwear.
What makes my wants and needs less important because I am a new member or god forbid a "Lurker". I do not have to join eBay or Craigslist to purchase an item. Or Jegs, Summit, Speedway or any other speed parts dealer to purchase either. But then, VW Vortex gets no profit or benefit off these purchases.
Or do they? The sellers are members and maybe selling keeps some of them members or even Premium Members. It also creates good will to the VW and German car community and maybe members of other forums join. Maybe they tell members at that forum and they join. But that is not apparently as important as $19.95/yr.
3) Sorry guys but the attitudes of a few veteran members are a part of the problem as well. I cite the comment about non members and god forbid "Lurkers" being able to purchase from Classifieds because it is on the page I found about Classifieds rules. As a new member and yes, god forbid, a "Lurker" I was offended and somewhat humiliated by this thoughtless and discriminatory comment. But thats ok. I know there are a percentage of " those people" out there and I know how to deal with them. I am 61 years old and I did not live thru fire and death to cower down now or suddenly have a weakened spirit.
I can pay my penance but after 10 essays the powers that be may wish they would've let me just be a "Lurker" and buy what I wanted even if they never see me again. In fact they may not want to.
I am sure there are other reasons but I have too much to do to add to thos comment now. I have to do a word count to see if this qualifies as an essay. Then I have to vacuum the bathtub and mow my driveway.
Cheers from Nibiru.
Metalmanrw
Interesting, I guess I am partially ignorant. I didn't realize that the forum isn't free anymore (at least not in totality). I guess I always assumed it operated the same way it always did and that's with ad revenue and fees from vendors that posted their goods throughout the forums. The 5yr period you talking about, is this some temporary benefit of folks that were grandfathered in so to say?

What is keeping you from "purchasing" from the classifieds? Another thing I was totally unaware of lol. Is it that new members cannot access the classifieds entirely? I mean payment for items sold has never been managed by the site, no? I can understand blocking folks from selling to protect existing users from scammers, but buying doesn't make much sense to me either.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts