VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to get a chip for awhile, but I don't want have to void my warranty. Is it worth buying a spare ECU and chipping it, then swapping it in? I would run the chipped ECU, but if any CELs came on, I would put the stock one back in and take it to the dealer. I know it sounds kinda shady, but what are the pros and cons to this method?
There is also the option of just getting the chip put in and taking my chances. What are some common problems that people have gotten as a result of a chip? (i.e. blown MAF, coilpacks. . .) Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: Are two ECUs worth it? (pie pants)

Not to sound like a promoter, since I can't be without having tried the product myself, but the new REVO software (chip, whatever you want to call it since there's no chip involved) doesn't even open your ECU. Just a quick 5 minute software flash by connecting a laptop to the diagnostic port. I can't speak for the quality of the product, but there are plenty of reviews starting to pop up from people on Vortex who have done the trial install or have just purchased a REVO install.
Otherwise, a spare ECU is a lot of dough, and a number of people pass up on it and go with the method you just mentioned. However, the rules of the modifying game are "You pay to play". That doesn't mean things break, as coilpack and MAF problems occur on chipped and unchipped cars alike. The biggest problem you might see is premature clutch wear, as well as the difficult problem of overpowering the stock chassis; it just isn't well suited for that much power.
I'm sure other people (those who actually have chips) will weigh in soon. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.