VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spent two days last week replacing the following..
Clutch
Release bearing
front brake pads
rear brakes (drums, shoes, hardware, ebrake cables)
wheel bearings
shift bushings
and a few other small things
rebuild the entire motor about 7-8 months ago.
Well today I get in my car, start her up and the brake pedal goes to the floor. I get out and look and there is brake fluid dripping out of my passenger rear drum. Goodbye wheel cylinder. Also my front motor mount and trans mount are squeaking.
Does the fun ever stop? I knew I should have replaced the damn mounts when I had the tranny out. I swear, another month or so and everything on the car will have been replaced or rebuilt.
sorry, just had to rant...

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: argh!(*R(&*^#(%&^(*& VW (brandon002)

Hahaha~!, Dont mean to laugh but Welcome to the wonderful world of Volkswagen

·
Registered
6,679 Posts

sorry to hear that man....but oh man I should have replaced those mounts when I was doing the clutch! I hope they dont go bad, cause I'm gonna be kicking msyelf if they do after I just had everything out

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Re: argh!(*R(&*^#(%&^(*& VW (IntrstlarOvrdrve)

So do a rear disk swap and add in the worst calipers ever, that last about 3 years and seize.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: argh!(*R(&*^#(%&^(*& VW (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

Quote, originally posted by I Wuz BottlFedG60 »
Hahaha~!, Dont mean to laugh but Welcome to the wonderful world of Volkswagen

Laugh all you want. I'm laughing about it too. I am starting to get used to this. Seriously the car throws so many unexpected kicks to the arse that it isn't even funny. I mean I treat the thing better then I treat my girlfriend and it still backstabs me. GRRRRR, still love her though (the car that is)...

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

As the rear shoes wear and self adjust the pistons come out more and more, put in new shoes and the pistons in the cylinder are pushed back in over the corrosion that's in the cylinder and they leak, always replace the cylinders with that type of self adjusting mechanism. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: argh!(*R(&*^#(%&^(*& VW (Vdubs)

...R&R the half shafts
next month
.... replaced clutch only to have 5th gear shread a week later....
next month
rear drivers motor mount blows
theres a clunk....
R&R the A arms - new arms and bushings
next month - blown motor mount weakened the CV - blows
Oh *thats* what the clunk was

been pretty quite for a while tho...
probably happy to be back after being stolen...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my pretty new wheel cylinders arrived about 18 hours after ordering them from http://www.gprparts.com. They are in Cali and I'm in Chicago. These guys never stop amazing me with the quality and speed of their service.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Re: (brandon002)

I feel your pain. I have 2 of these little money pits. New clutch in mine, cable, battery, alt, H/AC actuator and gates, 3rd stereo, rr quarter window from the last stereo to be donated to the help the poor scumbags association. Happens about once every month - like the car is having its period

Now its the other ones turn. Rack and pinion last month, just picked up 4 cross drilled rotors, pads and bearings to go on this week end.
I just can't wait to see whats next

1 - 12 of 12 Posts