VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Armor door plates a while back and havent put them on my car yet. I think if I had a black car I would have done it right away, but I have seen them on some cars and it just kinda looks funny. I have a red car and if I put them on you are gonna see that big black surround on the door handle.
Anyone have an opinion on this? Am I dumb, should I just go ahead and put them on? Has anyone resisted putting them on because of the looks?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Re: Armor door plates - stylistically speaking... (Tarmac)

think about how dumb one might feel if they didn't put them on because of "looks" and someone busted into their car via prying the door handles...
You won't even notice them http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: Armor door plates - stylistically speaking... (Dutchman)

my friend got armor door plates after his GTI was broken into, and a few months later it was broken into again, the second time they just cut the door handle off with a pipe cutter. but when you think about it, it's cheaper to replace a door handle than it is to have repair work done to the door and have it repainted.

[Modified by A2GTI_8V, 2:36 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Armor door plates - stylistically speaking... (Dutchman)

quote:[HR][/HR]and secondly, i don't think those plates would stop them much anyway
[HR][/HR]​
hmm, so who else thinks the ADP doesn't do much? I still have them new in the box, I could sell them off...

·
Banned
8,092 Posts

well they might stop them from entering through the door....
but i had my rear window removed by the low-lives before.........
it's not even funny the neighbourhood i live in

·
Registered
182 Posts

I have a red Jetta with all four Armour Door plates. You really don't notice them as the A2's especially the big bumper models have so much black trim. It will blend in and looks factory.

·
Registered
18,473 Posts
Re: Armor door plates - stylistically speaking... (bryanY)

I have 4 ADPs too, these only help prevent the screwdriver pry in. Otherwise its only 1 min. or less using a slim jim. I have slim jim that folds and I carry it around the scrappers. I don't see ADP as a cosmetic item, strictly to prevent amatures from pry ins.

·
Banned
3,232 Posts
Re: Armor door plates - stylistically speaking... (Eric D)

armor door plates are good to prevent stupid car thief from breaking into your car but it won't stop an hardcore guy that is wiling to cut your door handle off or tow your car and cut it into pieces within two hours!!!!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Re: Armor door plates - stylistically speaking... (mk2jetta)

When they broke in to my car, they first tried to pry through the door gaurds but were unsuccesful and just ended up tearing the metal. After that they just busted the window, messed up my dash and jacked my stereo. After that experience I am not sure how much good these things actually do. I still have them on though...oh well.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Armor door plates - stylistically speaking... (8vGTI)

Hmm, maybe I dont want them anymore...
I'm so indecisive though...
Anyone have a story where they can say for sure that it helped?

·
Banned
3,656 Posts

Yeah...friend of mine came back to see marks around his plates and nothing else. That was a week after he got 'em. They'll only hold up amateurs scared of loud breaking windows though.
If you're so worried about them not being the same color as your car, why not just paint 'em?

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
34,875 Posts

they have prevented 3 break ins that I know of:

granted, the hardcore thief is going to take your car. Period. But anything you can do to annoy/slow them down is good. Then let I let LoJack handle it.
before ADP and LoJack:
stolen and stripped

·
Banned
25,589 Posts

I have them on my black GTI, but nevertheless put them on. In my opinion, I like door handles with the ADPs on them- they look beefier than the stock 'thin' handles. They look good on any color! I love 'em. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Re: Armor door plates - stylistically speaking... (Tornado Wolfie)

quote:[HR][/HR]They'll only hold up amateurs scared of loud breaking windows though.
[HR][/HR]​
You're right, but amateurs comprise a majority of the criminal element, so it does help. And... the looks don't bother me, plus it's saved me at least two pry-ins. Best part, though, is that it hides previous pry-in damage!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.