VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just in case anyone cares... there is an article on the baltimore sun website about excessive speeds on 695 and what not
here's the link
http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...lines
they mention something about the unmarked cars.. i know baltimore city at least in the south have 2 mustangs as well

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Re: article about speeding (DaScuda)

Very interesting. Targeting not those who are nesisarily speeding, but driving like jackasses. Gets a big http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif from me. I've always said speed dosen't kill, negligence does.
But that bit about not playing fair? Its one thing about using unmarked cars (if you're not doing anything wrong, or at least not anything too wrong for Johnny Law to overlook you, you don't have to worry) but the stories and witnessed events of cops tailgaiting in hopes of agrivating the driver to do something illegal. You speed up, you're hit for speeding. Brake check them you're hit for a sudden stop. I've always wondered what they would do if you just gradually slowed down (engine breaking) to just below the speed limit, not so much as to be a hazard, but enough to agrivate them and get them off your tail.

And before anyone says anything, I'm not against cops, but theres a few bad seeds that give the who batch a bad look.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Re: article about speeding (Neckromacr)

quote-But others, including the Maryland State Highway Administration, say speed limits must reflect reality. They say the answer may be to raise the posted limit on a few roads where drivers are already far exceeding it, and then vigorously enforce the higher limit.
theres there answer http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

"Five cars speed down Interstate 95 toward Baltimore, bunched together like racers at Daytona, their drivers unaware of the state trooper cruising behind them in a white Chevy Camaro."
Those white Chevy Camaros have got to be the most widely-known unmarked Maryland state troopers. Not only have I heard about them here on the Vortex, but I've seen them pulling people over and lurking in the highway medians.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Re: article about speeding (DrivinAJetta)

OMG in the summer...JESUS!!! Crotch rockets just really go balls to the wall. They really dont give a ****. Its nuts. You got to watch what they are doing before you make a move. Like a group of 10 bikes just going like 110 and weaving...Craziness...They should do something about that. If you are coming from BWI in the summer or when its nice out on a weekend. be carefull of your surroundings... But hell if i had an R1 i would be doing the same exact thing so i cant say anything....

·
Registered
321 Posts
haha, word. bikes are tight. I love them. I have a Yamaha, but i wanna save up and get a GiXer sometime maybe next summer. I dunno... But yea, you gotta watch out for those mothers, cuz they come up from behind and leave u in the dust in a second. It's hard 2 C them. Thank god for loud Xhaust!

quote~ Loud Pipes Save Lives.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Re: (Laurens_D)

Quote, originally posted by Laurens_D »

quote~ Loud Pipes Save Lives.

That quote has to be the dumbest excuse to rationalize obnoxiously loud exhaust systems (or lack therof) on bikes I have EVER heard of

loud pipes dont save lives, not driving like a jackass does http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Re: (83Rabbit)

it just occured to me also, the majority of the time you dont even hear these guys until they blow past you at 100+mph.... so loud pipes do absolutely nothing in the way of making them noticable when your infront of them.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for a good article. It looks like they are thinking about "good" change as opposed to nailing everyone with a ticket. Seems I95 in VA they stop you for going anything above 55mph.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts

Quote »
"I can't stop five cars. So now it's a case of who's going to go the fastest."

oh he has a lack of faith
Obviously he wasnt part of the force that stopped the Waterfest caravan 3 years ago in md
all 50+ of us on the side of the road muhahaha it was insane!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Re: article about speeding (83Rabbit)

Quote »
That's why the state is close to raising the speed limit on Routes 32

good, they need to raise it.... 55mph on 32 is just plain stupid, its wide open, 2 lanes for the most part and completely straight....

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Re: article about speeding (83Rabbit)

Quote »
We'll have officers in Mustangs and Camaros and sitting in the back of construction vehicles [with a radar gun] or hiding behind a Jersey wall. We're going to do whatever it takes to get these people off the road, because they're costing too many innocent lives.

good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif its nice to see theyre taking a stance at these 80+ mph drivers and not the ones who occasionally go 5 over by accident

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
695 has a posted speed limit of 55 mph, its utter crap. I drive on 695 like I do on i-95... 75-80 mph in the third leftmost lane. I have never seen a cop, unmarked car, and my k warning has never gone off. I have no reason to slow down.
I loves this part:
"They also suggest reducing existing speed limits, or at least holding the line."
Go ahead and try lowering the speed limit on i-95 and 695. It won't do anything. There are more drivers out there with radar detectors, cars are built to go faster and the roads are ten fold better than they used to be. Yet they want to lower speed limits... you would think highways would be raising the speed limit, not considering lowering it.

Modified by the six at 9:17 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Re: (the six)

The one guy for highway safety or coordination or whatever made an excellent point that for the most part traffic sets and maintains its own speed quite well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
480 Posts

I drove to New Jersey on friday morning and I was being followed by a red camaro on I-95. I was doing 80, with cruise, just sitting in the fast lane. I knew he was a cop, I have seen him on other trips. I figured since I wasn't being an ******, he would let me be, and he did. He waited for another car to pull up on him (it was an acura integra) pass him on the right, pass me, and speed off. The cop pulled after him and about 5 mins later, he had him on the side of the road.
I think that 65 is a really slow speed for these long open stretches of the roadway, but then again, I am 23, and I love to drive fast. I don't think that if you raise it to 75, or raise it to 65 in towards the city, that it would be safe for most "average" cars with soccer moms and old lady's driving.
Just my humble opinion..

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Driving Conditions

I don't think that a higher speed would make for more dangerous situations for soccer moms; I can't tell you how many times I have been passed going 80 by a mom in a box full up of kids. I think a lot of the problems in Maryland have to do with lane choice; it seems that people have forgotten that the far left lane is the "fast" lane. When on 95 south of the beltway I stay in the far right lane because no one drives in it, I can drive friggin 100 mph in that lane and not even worry about a car (not that I have done that, but one could). Maryland should institute a law like Jersey has where the left lane is for high speed and passing purposes only. At least this way if people starting getting pulled over for being jackasses in the left lane a clue may spread around. Also, I would hope that when and if people do speed, they don't do it at high traffic times, you are just asking to kill yourself and others; if you want to play street racer X, wait until after rush hour is over.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

very interesting topic.. I can say im one of those speeders.
coming home from Baltimore tuhrsday night i was doing 110MPH on 95S. I guess its all fun till you get cought..

nice article tho, thanks.!

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 83Rabbit »
The one guy for highway safety or coordination or whatever made an excellent point that for the most part traffic sets and maintains its own speed quite well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This has been proven time and time again. It also goes well with the statistics that plces that dropped the speedlimit all together acctually lowered highway fatalities. Many have looked at this and tried to figgure it out (for the most the quoted reason being it) but here's my take on it. I'm comfortable doing 70-80 on most highways (traffic permitting of course) if I didn't have to worry about where the cops were because of some arbitrary limit I'm more focused on driving.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Re: (Neckromacr)

pretty nice article but it just confirmed my suspicions. i used to be on 95 at least twice a week. i'd see people pulled over by camero's on the regular. we have an unmarked mustang in reston that is yellow and hooked the hell up, tint, wheels, system the whole 9. even cops cruising alone go 80 usually, but like us they just want to be in front, then they won't bother you. i had a cop follow me at 75mph, i thought he would pull me over but he just wanted to pass.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Re: (BlackFury6)

There's a new light blue colored Range Rover unmarked car around the beltway, it blew past me the other day on the left shoulder...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts