VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is from http://www.dimebank.com/Light-up.html
quote:[HR][/HR]One thing to note is that H4 lamps are not legal in the US; the ancient DOT laws against separate bulb headlamps apply, so H4 lamps are marked "for off road use only". Most jurisdictions don't care any more; maybe one day the law will get changed. If you care that much, use the sealed beam halogens and accept the results. (The non-sealed beam lamps that are now OEM equipment on new cars have been individually approved by the Federal government.)[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Re: Article says older h4's in USA were illegal??!!! (bora99_2000)

My Volvo 850 had H4 headlights! And it was sold everywhere in the States!!!

·
Registered
33,032 Posts
Re: Article says older h4's in USA were illegal??!!! (WannaCorrado)

Is the thread refering to BULBS or HEADLIGHTS that are H4??

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Re: Article says older h4's in USA were illegal??!!! (Cullen)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Is the thread refering to BULBS or HEADLIGHTS that are H4??[HR][/HR]​
Uhm, what's the difference? I thought if the bulb in the headlight is H4, then the headlight is H4.. explain?

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: Article says older h4's in USA were illegal??!!! (WannaCorrado)

quote:[HR][/HR]My Volvo 850 had H4 headlights! And it was sold everywhere in the States!!! [HR][/HR]​
850s did not come stock with H4s. My mother had one and I know others with various 850s that didn't. DOT requires DOT lights

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Re: Article says older h4's in USA were illegal??!!! (16v)

1993 and early non-turbo 1994 had H4 headlights with glass lenses. 1994 Turbo and later 850s had DOT headlights with plastic lenses and dual bulbs. What year was your mom's car and did it look like this?

I know what I'm saying though, since I played around with the fake-blue bulbs in that car...
This link says 9003: http://www.autolamps-online.com/application_guide/volvo.htm
is 9003 same as H4?

[Modified by WannaCorrado, 3:22 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
33,032 Posts
quote:[HR][/HR]H4 are not approved for use in the USA. The twin filament lamp that is used
and sold and approved in the USA is the HB2. It is identical in every way to
the naked eye but has tighter filament tolerances. This is the answer to the
OLD/NEW H4 usage in the USA.[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Re: Article says older h4's in USA were illegal??!!! (Cullen)

quote:[HR][/HR]H4 are not approved for use in the USA. The twin filament lamp that is used
and sold and approved in the USA is the HB2. It is identical in every way to
the naked eye but has tighter filament tolerances. This is the answer to the
OLD/NEW H4 usage in the USA.[HR][/HR]​
I did some research (I found the two bulbs the Volvo had originally in my garage) and the bulbs were indeed 9003/H4DOT/HB2 (that was printed on them) - Although I actually replaced those with real H4's, since they look identical and I didnt even realize that the originals weren't real H4 (since they say H4 DOT on them)...

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: Article says older h4's in USA were illegal??!!! (bora99_2000)

They're referring to the sealed beam replacement kits, for older cars, and Jeep Wranglers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts