VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This package consists of the 'top of the dash' oil temp gauge, clock with stop watch
function, and a boost pressure gauge. Is this something that can be 'option/ordered'
on any of the three Turbo models....and if so, how much is the added cost?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hoping it is an option that automatically comes with all turbo models. I'm assuming
that it remains out of view until the car is started and then 'pops up' at that time.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke to VW HQ (1-800-822-8987) and was directed to their tech dept. There I
was informed that the Aux instrument pkg will NOT be in any of the turbos presently
being ordered and this feature won't be included with the turbo cars until sometime
in 2012, most likely much later in the year. It isn't available as a dealer retrofit either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
hopefully this isnt true as the order guide had it as a standalone option, which i ordered.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, but it is true. had the VW manager check it out and when he placed the
code XGC in his computer, it came back with non-availability and he has no idea as to
when it might be a reality..... certainly not until next year for sure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well then, i guess mine wont be being built for some time then lol.

This is something i want to have as it adds to the sportiness of the vehicle id say.

Typical that they would show something, allow you to order something and than say not available... Feels like that badger commercial.

"Ming blue?"

"Yes"

"Not available"

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gauge Pod

According to the dealer the gauge pod has been deleted....

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can duplicate the same 3 gauge set up using products from www.glowshift.com
I measured the recessed area where the original 'pod' was to go and found one
black 3 gauge pod holder that can fit into it. It's listed as a 52mm Universal Triple
Dash 3 gauge Mount Pod Holder that sells for less than $15. You can also select
the three gauges you prefer separately. I decided on water temp, oil temp, and went
to Ebay for a clock that is listed there that comes from Taiwan. Note: The measured
area of the recessed dash is 11" width across the front......9 1/2" width across the back.....
and 4 1/2" depth. Make sure any gauge pod you decide on stays within these measurements.
Most have too much depth.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rofl!?

How is this possible.

And how is it possible that we now have a beetle that doesnt tell us the temp of its friggin oil....

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
And how is it possible that we now have a beetle that doesnt tell us the temp of its friggin oil....
Most cars don't tell you oil temp. If you're lucky it may have an oil pressure gauge which is far more useful anyhow. Most cars only have water temp and even then ask any tech they'll tell you how inaccurate they are anyhow. The digital temp in cluster is a nice addition and has better accuracy no doubt. More than sufficient for most.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bozo at my VW Parts Dep't. had to order me a an oil filter for the 2.0 Turbo
and now I realize from perusing on Ebay that the item number he ordered is
a transmission filter and not an oil filter. Does anyone know the specific part number
for the oil filter? And also, is the filter a completely closed unit or does it consist of
a 'screw on/off' upper housing and lower base plate that encompasses the filter
element. I need to get access to the base plate so I can ascertain what size thread
will correspond to the 'sandwich adapter' I need to connect my oil temp gauge to and
thereby avoid drilling the sensor into the oil pan. P.S. - If anyone also knows the 'mm'
size of the 'upper radiator hose' I would appreciate you informing me. Need to know that
so I can connect the proper size water temp hose adapter. VW Parts couldn't supply me
with that info which I think is ubelievable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any new updates on this?

Ive spoken with my dealer and the general manager and she went ahead and called a contact in production and they said the gauge is not deleted and in fact producable but only if ordred. And also said my order is still including the gauge.

One thing i do not know about still is the dash kit?

Will the loaded beetle turbo still have the carbonfiber dash kit???

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dealer physically showed me on his computer that only authorized VW personnel
have access to and when he entered the Code XGC (Aux Instrumentation Package),
the response was 'Not Available'. Was told the originally listed price (About $154 if
I remember correctly) has been deleted from the building cost of the vehicles. I
was originaaly informed that the instrumentation package would not be offered by
VW Headquarters. Call them, if you like, at 1-800-822-8987. Your dealer is blowing
smoke up your you know what.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't know who knows for sure, but my guy at the dealership just confirmed today that my Beetle will come with the gauges. I had my car ordered a good while ago and emphasized that I wanted the gauges. So I don't know what's going on with the speculations! I hope mine does in fact come with the gauges, but I guess time will tell. I was told around January for being able to pick up my Beetle.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Either have him enter code XGC and let you look at the computer screen with him,
like my dealer did, and see for yourself. Like I said, the 800-822-8987 phone is
a VW Headquarters contact number and they were the ones who gave me the code
and the bad news to begin with.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Like I said he just told me today, I believe him, He asked a area rep (or someone higher up than him). So I'm not too worried about it. It wont be a "deal breaker" for me if the gauge's don't come with the car, but It would be a plus if they did. Was just sharing what I've been told :thumbup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
i think whats confusing is XGC is a code that litterally means your car will not come with the gauges. It enables a 150$ build cost credit because it means you want to opt out of the gauges and therefore same them time and money.

Ive asked my rep and he reached out to an area rep aswell as was told exactally that /\. I have a feeling there will be gauges in the car as it was advertised this way and shown in the pictures this way. VW usually doesnt show something that is simply impossible to fullfill.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just picked up the Beetle Genuine VW Accessoris Guide that arrived yesterday at my
dealer. There is a slew of options listed, shown.....but not the 3 gauge pod. I wonder
why? Again, I saw .......with my own eyes that the computer showed the code item was
no longer available......and remember that this was confirmed by some guy at a dealer,
but by VW HQ itself. I even went so far as to ask if a retrofit was going to be offered
and was told no....not for the extended, forseeable future. I would have much preferred
to have had the OEM set up, believe me, but perhaps VW didn't originally take into account
how the oil temp switch was going to reach the oil itself. To drill an opening into the oil
pan is a long, extended job. Other than that way, you would need to attach an adapter
(sandwich) between the block and the oil filter....or replace the drain plug with an adapter
drain plug that allows the oil temp sensor wire to connect to. If cars have the oil drain plug
faciing down, toward the ground, there is always a concern that it was ripe to be damaged.
Hopefully, the 2.0 Beetle's drain plug is angled to the side and not open to easy damage.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts