VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys;
tonight, I started hooking up the wiring for my car audio system, and then on the way home, my ASR light came on when I started the car, and stayed on until I got home. I didn't notice the car drove any differently (except for a second of lost traction when I accelerated too hard- oops!
)
in installing the new wiring, I removed and reinstalled the airbox, but that shouldn't have anything to do with ASR, should it?

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ASR Light always on now? (vwspeed711)

yeah, I DID forget to plug in my MAF, and the EPC light was on too. halfway home, I realized it, stopped, and hooked it back up again, and the EPC light went off, but the ASR light stayed on.

· Registered
23,062 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwspeed711 »
disconnect your battery for a half hour to let the ecu reset it self

That procedure will NOT remove the stored code in the ECU's memory.
To find out the exact problem, scan the car with a VAG-COM (recommended) or a generic OBDII scanner.
Clear the stored codes and you should be all set.
- Erik

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: ASR Light always on now? (bluefox280)

Quote, originally posted by bluefox280 »

That procedure will NOT remove the stored code in the ECU's memory.
To find out the exact problem, scan the car with a VAG-COM (recommended) or a generic OBDII scanner.
Clear the stored codes and you should be all set.
- Erik

thanks, man. Autozone, here I come!

· Registered
23,062 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwspeed711 »
oh really? didnt know that, sorry for the false info.

Oh, no worries at all.
The common myth is that if the ECU loses power, all things will return to "normal".
That's not the case, especially since the codes are stored in non-viable memory and don't erase with power loss.
- Erik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.