VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have got the great opportunity to get myself a 1975 Swallowtail,build date of 11/74 !
So how does one go about getting a decent price on an exceptionally solid swallow tail you may ask...well you buy it completely disassembled of course!
This beauty has original paint and floors, very solid, it came form Washington and by the looks of it must have been garage kept, I believe it has 55K Miles on it.
At some point it was in an accident on the front drivers corner, someone replaced the front inner fender and part of the Rad support, the job was done solid but not finished very nice.

So here is my challenge of putting it all back together :D

I am hoping this will only take a couple months...big task ahead.

Here is how she came to me.

After a lengthy interview with the previous owner he entrusted me with this task and we loaded all the parts into the cabin and a few days later I had it shipped to it's new home.
He gave it a proper send of and wrapped it up very nicely!

Safely in the womb to be reborn ;)

I started by cleaning up the engine bay and cleaning up the welds and a little filler on it before paint.
I got some color matched acrylic enamel for the engine bay, turned out ok, a little brighter then the rest of the car but not bad.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had this week off work so I put some hours in on it, luckily the weather in southern Ontario has been quite nice for December so I tried to get as much done as possible in my non-heated garage.

After doing the bay I picked up some cheap coilovers and new front end parts, replaced ball joints, front wheel bearings, tie rod ends and boots and cleaned up the rack, inner drivers fender, strut mounts, and gas line.
A lot of the parts are in very good shape like the steel fuel line, I was not looking forward to bending a new one lol so I got lucky there. I can't believe how well this car has survived, I had a '75 Rocco and it was just not salvageable, fortunately I kept a lot of parts from it and they may come in handy here.

So here is an idea of what I am dealing with, the biggest challenge is going to be there hardware, unfortunately the Bentley doesn't list bolt sizes very well, I found a 75-76 service manual, I should get it in a few days so hopefully it will be more detailed on hardware spec.

Does anyone know if ETKA lists all the hardware for the swallowtails?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So at the end of today I hit my first road block, I am sure it won't be my last...

According to my bentley I have a '76 steering column in here, the column was completely disassmbled and I can't find the spring...I think.

I am hoping those with swallowtails can help me.

Here is the '75 and '76 exploded views.

It looks like the '75 steering tube has a bunch of brackets welded to it, mine is pretty much just a tube like the '76 as well if you look at the pic below it looks like the column had a big spring on it like the '76. I think the '75 is much smaller, I did find this spring but it is definitely to small. Any one with an early '75 or '76 that can chime in here I would be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good luck on your build. When I got mine, I had some folks asking if it was "the one from Canada". Obviously it wasn't as you got it, LOL. I really wanted this car, but I had just dragged mine home, I couldn't get away with getting another.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Also, feel lucky. I am missing so much to my car. I knew that going in, but at least you have 99% of everything, that sure is nice. I'll be forever locating all the misc items I need, I almost need a donor car, haha.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck on your build. When I got mine, I had some folks asking if it was "the one from Canada". Obviously it wasn't as you got it, LOL. I really wanted this car, but I had just dragged mine home, I couldn't get away with getting another.
Let me know what you need as you go, I parted a '75 Scirocco and there are extras with this guy as well, I might be able to help out.
:beer:

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
I was the guy Yves got the car from. It looks like it did when it left WA about 5 years ago, except it was a driver. The core support was my first attempt at metal replacement, with an inferior welder. My skills are better now. I still have the car most of those parts came from to make it driveable once it got to NY. Not sure what your plans are, but if you want a ST trans, brackets, and starter, let me know.
Good luck with the build, interested to see how it turns out after all these years. I might have some pics somewhere of when I got it from Eastern WA.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was the guy Yves got the car from. It looks like it did when it left WA about 5 years ago, except it was a driver. The core support was my first attempt at metal replacement, with an inferior welder. My skills are better now. I still have the car most of those parts came from to make it driveable once it got to NY. Not sure what your plans are, but if you want a ST trans, brackets, and starter, let me know.
Good luck with the build, interested to see how it turns out after all these years. I might have some pics somewhere of when I got it from Eastern WA.
That's amazing! Yes pics would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pic, ya you have the really early steering column, my spring is longer, not sure what the point of that spring is on yours but it is correct for the year.

I actually found the spring from a VW dealer here in Canada, last one in the country lol, but now my problem is the plastic bushing on the outside of the column, mine is split so the whole column wiggles around, and to find that part is becoming quite a challenge, I have actually installed a later style column in the interm so I can move along with assembly.

Later column installed

Original column, notice only 1 mounting bracket and is 10mm shorter, I think at the steering wheel end. As well there is no slot cut in it for the lug on the bushing.

This is the bushing that is hard to find, anyone has one please let me know!

Other then that been painting parts and started going through the wiring harness...oh man that is not fun...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts