VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of collecting parts and then not having the time to do this mod for more than two months, I finally installed my second IC.
This mod is a plug'n'play IF you have all the parts needed. Even then, it takes ca. 5 to 6 hours to do the install, mainly because you have to remove not only the front bumper, but also the airbox assembly and the front head lamp.
The biggest problem for us (besides removing the bumper) was discovering that euro spec cars DO have a smog pump, like the north american ones, in the place where the new IC is to be mounted.

I consulted the ETKA briefly, and it seems that 190hp cars (engine designation BEX) have the smog pump in a different location. I don't know where exactly, I will have to check the service manuals to find out, but what I already learned from ETKA is that only 3 parts are different - smog pump mounting bracket and 2 air hoses. For whatever reason, those hoses are bloody expensive and cost 100USD for a piece of plastic. I will get them in two weeks time, and for the next two weeks I'm gonna run the cars with the smog pump removed (the smog pump only works for 5 sec after starting the car from cold anyway, so I hope I will not damage anything driving without it. I also thought that I will instantly get the CEL, but thankfully after driving over 10km there is still no CEL).
The second IC (on the left) finally installed and secured.

Air guides are on.

The look from below.

And from behind. Not much space for the air to flow on this side too.

The front bumper installed.

Notice how much of the intercooler surface is blocked by fog lights.

Parts before the installation:

and what had left:

As for the performance improvements. I didn't have the time to dyno the car after the installation. I dynoed it yesterday, and I hopefully do it tomorow for the second time to check the differences. All I can say right now is that there is no night and day difference.
The one thing I'm shure after driving the car for 10km is that the heat soak is almost nonexistent. The cars VERY consistent right now, there is no noticable loss in power output after consecutive runs. After stopping the car I manually checked the temps of both ICs and the first one was very hot (as it used to be, the only difference beeing that the first IC is now the new one) while the second IC was only marginally hotter than the other metal parts of the car. I didn't have the temp probe on hand, but I would say that the temp of the first IC was around 50'C and the themp of the second IC was only about 20'C. Thet would be about 30'C difference - if this difference translates to air intake temps, and the temp would drop from normal 70'C to around 40'C I would be VERY happy. I will report on the intake temps changes when I put the car on the dyno and acces the car's temp sensor via VAG-COM.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: At last ! My second IC installed !!! (MFZERO)

Just got back from the dyno. The intake temps have dropped from 72-73'C (at WOT) to 47-48'C - that's a whooping 25'C difference !
Me very happy

As for the HP gains ....... I was a little bit affraid that I may even lose some HP due to inevitable pressure drop, but ..... I gained 10 hp.
We have made 3 runs, and each time got the same resoults - power went from 168 to 178hp.
But here is the caveat - the first run (base run with single IC) suggested that there must been something wrong with the car - when we last dynoed the car in february, we got 197HP - 29hp more than two days ago. Its more than probable that the MAF sensor went bad.
In any case, both runs were made with the bad MAF, so I think it makes my observations valid.
I can only hope, that with the new MAF the performance difference will be similar, if not greater.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: At last ! My second IC installed !!! (Elberoth)

Nice!!! Can you pass along some of the details? Is this a kit? Did you piece it together from S4 parts? Do you have any part numbers?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: At last ! My second IC installed !!! (budda1)

I posted the parts list on Audiworld a while back. The kit consists of parts used in the euro exclusive Audi A4 1.8T 190hp. I'm not shure if you can order those parts states side though.
You can buy the whole kit directly from Greedspeed - it costs 649USD - not much more than I paid, buying all the parts separately from my Audi dealer here in Poland.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

Any idea where the Euro smog pump goes?
Thanks a lot for posting man. The cogs in my head are turning.

Ahh more ways to spend money...

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Re: At last ! My second IC installed !!! ([email protected])

sweet !!
id love to do this mod

·
Registered
194 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Elberoth »

You can buy the whole kit directly from Greedspeed - it costs 649USD - not much more than I paid, buying all the parts separately from my Audi dealer here in Poland.

does the kit from Greedspeed include the smog pump hoses and bracket?
would make a nice OEM upgrade when I get my 1.8T.... awesome.
edit: found their parts list (and it appears to have the hoses and bracket). excellent...
Parts List
Intercooler w/Pressure Pipe
Intercooler Bracket
Intercooler Grommets (3)
Intercooler Duct
Front Fog Light Grill
Upper Intercooler Hose from Turbo to Intercooler
Lower Intercooler Hose Intercooler to crossover Tube
Bypass Valve Hose Intercooler to DV
Bypass Valve Hose DV to Intake Hose
Hose Clamps (4)
Smog Pump Mounting Bracket
Mounting Screws For Smog Pump Bracket (3)
Smog Pump Inlet Hose From Air box
Smog Pump Discharge Hose to Secondary Air Valve

Modified by mln at 8:17 PM 7-4-2003

1 - 9 of 9 Posts