VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my wits end looking for someone to paint my car - looking for references (bay area)

Hi everyone - I've recently been to five auto/body shops in the SF Bay Area for ballpark estimates on my resto paint job. The car is a mk1 Scirocco. I (along with friends) will be doing all the prep and body work - dismantling glass, fenders, hood/hatch, doors, etc., sanding, filling, welding...
Three of which say they are custom paint places and won't take on the work because they "prefer to stick with collision repair" WTF???
Don't advertise that you do that kind of work then! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
The other two quoted me $5000 and $6000. Seriously. Just to spray.
Yeah, right...there's no way in hell I'm coughing up that kind of $$$. And these shops were recommended to me by friends!
I was thinking more like $3-4k...is that unreasonable?
Can anyone provide a good reference of someone who does quality work at a reasonable price?
OR
Build a temporary booth on my driveway out of PVC pipe and landscaping tarp or rent a space for a month. Get the compressor, $500 spray gun, and the materials and:
- Find someone qualified on Craigslist to do it under my supervision?
- Have my professional house painter friend spray it (limited spraying experience)?
- do it myself
(being defiant here...)
Like I said, I have $3-4k to kick down for this, but I just want to know that I'm getting what I pay for...
Thanks for listening, Jeff

Modified by gamblinfool at 8:02 PM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: At my wits end looking for someone to paint my car - looking for references (gamblinfool)

Have you checked with Panel Craft in Berkeley? The owner, David, is a pretty reasonable guy to work with.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: At my wits end looking for someone to paint my car - looking for references (A3VR6)

No, I haven't. But I will. I just happen to be in Berkeley right now working!
Thanks! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Re: At my wits end looking for someone to paint my car - looking for references (gamblinfool)

Jeff,
I have two suggestions for you, one of which I've already used and one I'm about to use. First, I used Miracle Auto in Dublin to paint my Scirocco...stop laughing. All of you...stop laughing! For those of you who have seen my car, it looks very good. Not car show standards by any means, but I got one of their best paint jobs and paid about $2000. The car has been featured in a magzine, on display for VWoA and won first place at the ND car show. I was recommended to this shop and met with the manager before taking my car there. He impressed me and definitly likes what he does. You can get cheap paint jobs right at the same place, but they have 4 different levels of quality there. The more they charge, the better their job. I have no idea if all Miracle shops are like this, but these guys did a very good job.
Now, you know about the damage to my Saab. Again, I took a recommendation from someone and brought it into Bernard & Bob's Classic Auto Body in Pleasanton. This shop seems to turn out some nice stuff. When I started bringing up with the shop manager/owner that my Viggen is a limited eddition car and a cheap repair would kill it's value, he really assured me that I'd be satisfied with the job they do. He said that he personally inspects each piece of work the shop turns out, and if he's satisfied with the job I surely would be too. I still have to see if his work lives up to his description, but I have a good feeling about this shop. I'd be happy to show you the work when it's done. I did ask him while I was there if they do resto's and stuff and he said they do it all.
The work on the Saab should be done in a few weeks. Just waiting for all the parts to arrive.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts

Toy Works Autobody in Concord. They are not the cheapest (but you get what you pay for). They did an awesome job with my 84 CGT turbo last year fitting a Euro Kamei X1 body kit (re:custom work involved) and respraying the whole car. I highly recommend them.
Check out some of their work below.
J.

Modified by 84cgtturbo at 7:50 PM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Re: At my wits end looking for someone to paint my car - looking for references (84cgtturbo)

PICTURES OF YOUR QUATTRO COUPE ARE NOT ALLOWED ON VORTEX!!!!
I hate YOU!
Just kidding, I LOVE your Quattro Coupe, and from the testimony of seeing it in person, definately listen to J's advice on a paint job!
Man, your car is gorgeous!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Re: At my wits end looking for someone to paint my car - looking for references (ItsDchz)

Um, it's a CGT. You can tell by my new license plates.

J.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Re: At my wits end looking for someone to paint my car - looking for references (84cgtturbo)

Well at any rate it is my FAVORITE body style Audi! Quattro or not!
Your car is pure hotness

1 - 8 of 8 Posts