VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably the stupidest question ever, but is it possible? From my current knowledge, it's about the only thing NOT possible. I know that 225TT GTI guy put the Audi transmission in his, so could I convert my auto Golf to a 5 speed?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: AT to manual conversion? (Justin1.8T)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sure it can be done:
Step 1: Sell car with Automatic tranny
Step 2: Buy car with Manual tranny
[HR][/HR]​
its a means to an end ....

[Modified by 1BadAzzVR6, 12:27 AM 12-7-2001]

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: AT to manual conversion? (Andrman)

Adding a Supercharger would be cheaper and easier. Ultimately, I think you're trying to improve performance. A SC would do that nicely, even with an auto. You could manually shift the auto and fool your neighbors and friends.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: AT to manual conversion? (nate1.8t)

Yeah so can it be done? I'd go supercharger, but I just hate the slush box. I didn't pick out or buy the car, it was sort of a pass-on from my grandfather. I'm not entirely concerned about performance (no matter what it's still a 2.0), I just can't stand AT. But I've never even driven stick.... but I know I would like it

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

I had a 5spd conversion done on my B3 Passat. Cost about 3500. The only this I suggest is look into it before you do it, and if you live on the east coast, DONT GO TO EIP TUNING. They did mine and screwed everything up.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: AT to manual conversion? (SHaVedGTi)

If it was that big a deal, then I would look into buying a new car. If it did cost $3500 (from previous post) then I would definitly look into getting a new car. Just my 2 cents, but that is a lot of money!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

It is possible, but very expensive to do it right. Also, the money you would be spending would actually make the car worth less than it is right now.
As others have said, the best way to 'convert' is to sell your car and get another one with a stick.
-Chris

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Re: AT to manual conversion? (bizkittt)

Yes- it can be done...... really not that tough at all.

I wonder if everyone saying "it would be cheaper & easier to trade-in" actually did any research on the subject?

Email or IM me if you want details.......

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Re: AT to manual conversion? (SamTheMan)

Like I said, I actually had the conversion done. I suggest before you do it, ask what is included w/ the transformation and make sure that wherever you get it done at does quality work. Whatever you do DONT GO TO EIP TUNING. They did my conversion and caused more problems and did a horrible job on the tranny.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.