VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put these ATE Powerdiscs and Pagid pads on this summer and now it's November and nearly 5K on them. how are they wearing in?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1555666
Well at speed and around town for the most part they are great but the minute speed drops below 10mph (approaching a stop light) under light breaking they SQuuu0000eaaaaaaak!!
it's like a "goddamnit what the freeeking hell-o" type squeak guys and it won't stop. other wierd thing is that I think the pattern on the powerdiscs really bites into the pads which at speeds around 3-5mph makes a very scrapy gripping noise.
not sure if this is s typical of ATE powerdiscs or just a bad installation?
wierd thing is that after two days of driving in the rain the brakes didn't squeal for a day or two afterwards of dry driving...
any ideas or comments on ATE powerdiscs? similar experiences or comments on what causes very low speed high frequency squeaking that drives you crazy like this?!

/yosh

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ATE POWERDISC and PAGID PADS COMBO - 4 month update (TBT-PassatG60)

I did not install them; I had a VW tech back in MA that did a lot of work for me do the install. I'll have to ask him if he did...
Anything else that could cause it?
Search turned up a lot of ATE Powerdisc users out there; is this something anyone has run into? Other than the squeaaawking these rotors feel grreat!

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Re: ATE POWERDISC and PAGID PADS COMBO - 4 month update (yoshboston)

it's brake dust, and you'll get that with almost all pads. just some have more than others.
it went away after the rain because the break dust was washed off. give the brakes a good spray with break cleaner, or spray the preasure washer at the brakes next time you wash the car. see how long it takes for the squeek to come back.
it's also possible that the pads have gone bad. (i've heard) that after a lot of heavy breaking the pads can get very hot and then quickly cool down. this temperature change is supposedly suppose to mess with the metal composition. which in turn makes the material harder then it is supposed to be, which, will then cause more brake dust (...i've heard)

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: ATE POWERDISC and PAGID PADS COMBO - 4 month update (Rippen Raymen)

thanks RR.
yeah when it stopped after it rained for two days I thought that was odd. but I never had squeaking like this with mintex red box pads rain or shine - hot or cold.
Has anyone used these pagid pads before from Adirondack's stock? with good or bad results? the ATE rotors may not be the problem - maybe it's these pads.

· Registered
7,467 Posts

I had that combination on my 16V GTI. It worked great but was very dirty, just like original VW pads. Then I come to find out that Pagid is the oem vendor for much of VW's brake pads. No wonder! Anyway mine didn't have a squeaking problem. The premium pads or the factory pads come with a backing on each pad. It may look like a shim or like a layer of rubber, but it is for anti-squeal. If you buy pads that don't have such a thing, you should buy such a product to apply to the back of the pads. There is also an anti-squeal compound kinda like RTV silicone that you can apply, but it's more difficult to use.

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: ATE POWERDISC and PAGID PADS COMBO - 4 month update (A2B4guy)

Thanks A2B4
With that detail on the anti-squeal backing I can touch base with my tech and see if he installed the pads properly.
Thanks Guys!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,641 Posts

I have the Pagids from Adirondack on my Passat with stock 11.3 inch disks and haven't had a bit of trouble with them. I'm frankly not sure how different these are from OEM, and whether the pads I replaced (which seemed to heat sink and go to crap after just a few minutes of hard braking) were OEM or some poor quality replacement pads. What I can say is that even with spirited back road driving I've not experienced brake fade or squealing with these pads. Dust? Yep, got LOTS of that.....

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: ATE POWERDISC and PAGID PADS COMBO - 4 month update (MDVDuber)

spoke to my technician. he suggested that this type of low speed squeeeak is normal and typical of aggressive performance pads and is common on race cars. okay it's true these rotors and pads feel awesome at speed and stop really well so I can't complain but I am surprised at this. he offered to do a pad rebuild with more anti squeak compund if I drive up to boston for Xmas - we'll see.
thanks for your suggestions guys.

· Registered
1,641 Posts

Yosh, You have the older brakes so they may be different than mine, but my front pad change on the '97 Wagon took less than an hour. You could easily run over to Pep Boys or somewhere and get the anti squeal compound and do it yourself. I've not done the back yet, but if you don't have to depress the pistons, it should be the same thing, quick and easy.

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Re: ATE POWERDISC and PAGID PADS COMBO - 4 month update (MDVDuber)

yeah just take off the tire and take out the caliper. it's an allen wrench i think or...is it regular wrench

well anyway, like he said, it's very easy. the hardest part would be taking off the wheel

· Registered
8,095 Posts
I've been using ATE Powerdiscs and Porterfield R4S pads for a while now. Great performance, less dust than Ferodo's and OEM pads, no squeaking. My guess is the Pagids are the cause of the noise, not the Powerdiscs.

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (f1forkvr6)

Thanks Guys!
I won't do brake work myself; I will do it on my mountain bike but not on my car - too much liability if I do it poorly and kill some old lady in the crosswalk!

Dumb question: Once I have bedded in these Powerdiscs with the Pagid pads for 5000 miles is it okay for me to switch pads? I honestly have always thought that there was some relationship between the pads and the rotors and once you started with a set of pads you had to stick with it...thanks

· Registered
148 Posts
Re: ATE POWERDISC and PAGID PADS COMBO - 4 month update (Rippen Raymen)

So those are slotted discs? That probably creates more dust than normal, too. With the glazing and the squealing so annoyying. Anyone know which pads are better, best as far as low dust?

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: ATE POWERDISC and PAGID PADS COMBO - 4 month update (Passizzateur)

Quote, originally posted by Passizzateur »
So those are slotted discs? That probably creates more dust than normal, too. With the glazing and the squealing so annoyying. Anyone know which pads are better, best as far as low dust?

Great question - Powerdiscs are powerdiscs as far as I know - all have the same concentric pattern. Here are the ones I have:
http://www.bmwe36tips.20m.com/atepowerdiscs.htm
Does anyone have any other pad suggestions? Otherwise I think I will do the porterfields...i have had mintex and they are okay but would be psyched to try something else.
Thanks for all the ideas guys. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by yoshboston at 11:27 PM 11-18-2004

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (yoshboston)

Quote, originally posted by yoshboston »

Dumb question: Once I have bedded in these Powerdiscs with the Pagid pads for 5000 miles is it okay for me to switch pads? I honestly have always thought that there was some relationship between the pads and the rotors and once you started with a set of pads you had to stick with it...thanks

ANYBODY? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.