VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
thanks for looking in here:wave:

after driving to work 80 miles daily for the last 3.5 years I decided that it was time to keep an eye out for a more fuel efficient car as living out here in the pacNW is not cheap at all, nor is driving a petrol car lol. I was just browsing a local dealer and found a 2012 golf tdi with the technology package which I went to check out; and I ended up buying it 2 days later. with 32k on the clock and all service records done locally at the dealer where it was originally bought I think it was pretty good going for 15k all said and done.

considering all that has happened with dieselgate I was skeptical about buying a fixed tdi but so far I am very happy with the car....of course there will be modifications in the long run but most of the engine mods may wait till after the 2 year warranty is up or whatnot.

when i bought her:
IMG_20181006_124455 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr

how she sits now:
IMG_20190405_130638 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr

Interior mods
-OEM Monster mats
-OEM Volkswagen First Aid Kit
-OEM Volkswagen Road Emergency Kit
-OEM Euro Switch
-3M 25% tinted fronts and 15% tinted rears
-ECS Tuning boost gage kit w/New South Performance Boost Gage
-Valentine V1 radar detector(will be hardwired in the future)
-Cobra Dash camera kit(front and rear cams)
-Rennline smartphone mount for MK6 Golf/GTI
-DeAutoKey interior LED kit
-DeAutoKey interior LED footwell lights in red
-Doubleapex USB charger kit
-Remote down and up windows with the key fob via VAGCOM
-DRLs disabled via VAGCOM

Exterior mods
-DeAutoKey LED license plate lights
-DeAutoKey LED reverse lights
-DeAutoKey LED indicator lights, front and rear
-OEM Votex Spoiler
-OEM R-line taillights
-Weathertech Window Deflectors in dark tint
-ECS Tuning Blue tinted blind spot mirrors
-Helix Clear sidemarkers with amber bulbs
-Lamin-x clear for headlights and yellow for fogs
-Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 fog lights
-Stickers;)

Suspension/Brakes
-H&R Sport Cup Kit
-H&R 24mm Rear Adjustable Sway Bar
-ECS Assembled Front Big Brake Kit 312mm rotors

Exhaust
-Milltek 2.75 Cat-Back Exhaust System - Non-Resonated
-Darkside DPF Delete Downpipe

Engine Bay mods
-Darkside Audi S3 Intercooler
-Darkside Boost Hoses
-Darkside 2.0 16v CR170 turbo upgrade w/BV43 turbo
-Darkside 2.0 TDI Common Rail EGR Delete
-Darkside Braided Oil Feed Line
-Stage 3 tune by Jeff @ TDi ECU Tuning by Jeff
-ECS Tuning Expansion Tank & Washer Fluid Reservoir Cap Set in black
-ECS Tuning aluminum street shield skid plate
-OEM battery cover
-K&N reusable air filter

Transmission
-Darkside Billet Single Mass Flywheel & Clutch Kit
-ECS Tuning Shifter bushing upgrade kit
-034 Motorsports Billet Aluminum Dog Bone Mount Insert
-OEM VW European Short Shifter

Wheels/Tires
Winter Setup
-OEM VW Salamanca 17x7.5 5x112
-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 225/45 R17
Summer Setup
-Mercedes AMG 6 Slots 18x8 et44 5x112
-Federal Super Street 215/40 R18

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just picked up a 2014 Jetta TDI premium with fender audio, mats, cargo trunk mat for 14k with 38k mi. I love it! I've already done most of the mods you have listed outside the emergency kit stuff and the Mercedes wheels, not a fan of those they're pretty played out sort of like the porche wheels or the corvette salad shooters and wheels like that but that of course is just my opinion. I think I'm going to go with Audi Rotors or CC interlagos wheels, something OEM+.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just picked up a 2014 Jetta TDI premium with fender audio, mats, cargo trunk mat for 14k with 38k mi. I love it! I've already done most of the mods you have listed outside the emergency kit stuff and the Mercedes wheels, not a fan of those they're pretty played out sort of like the porche wheels or the corvette salad shooters and wheels like that but that of course is just my opinion. I think I'm going to go with Audi Rotors or CC interlagos wheels, something OEM+.
I got a good deal on the 6 slots and just couldn't pass them up, they worked well on my rabbit and ill give them a shot on the new golf.
I have a long list of mods to do like an egr delete, exhaust, turbo upgrade etc., but I will probably wait for the latter one till the warranty is up in 2 years but we will see. do you have a thread at all with your car in?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ordered a battery box which magically does not fit due to more cables being in the way than I originally had seen:banghead:looks like I will be disconnecting cables and trying to route them in/around the box when I install it.

also today I ordered an OEM Votex spoiler I found on ebay for a good price; ironically it would have been cheaper to order from the EU than Michigan:screwy:so rather than wait 3 weeks I will be waiting one hopefully:beer:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
welp I pulled the trigger on an H&R sport cup kit, H&R 24mm rear sway bar, New South Boost gage setup, 034 aluminum dogbone insert, and a K&N air filer:p
I guess I may as well have some fun with this car being a daily and all...hopefully will have an exhaust option from Techtonics Tuning in the works as they do not currently offer one for a mk6 tdi:thumbup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can't wait to see how it looks with the sport cup kit. Your previous cars looked great. I bet Athena is going to look sick

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't wait to see how it looks with the sport cup kit. Your previous cars looked great. I bet Athena is going to look sick

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
appreciate it dude!:thumbup: I went with the super sport kit as it was the same price as the sport kit and I figured what was another 0.5 inches of low!
I go outta town on vacation and my mad scientist mechanic is getting his hands on Athena for 10 days to see what magic he can work up lol:D
some of the things I can do on the car myself but suspension is totally outta my league...now give me a computer and it will be a different story

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well back in town and due to the snow storm we got i ended up leaving my car at home when i flew outta here just as that worked out easier.
so now the plan is to hand off the car to my guy in april when i leave again and should have everything done, plus i now have an exhaust, short shifter, and bushings coming in soon.
also just swapped out my air filter with a k&n one which has given the engine some sound so far:thumbup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can’t wait to see her with all those goodies installed dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can’t wait to see her with all those goodies installed dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hell yeah man, we will have to meet up when she is all done!:beer:

sadly i have to put off the install till the 14th due to work being dumb lol:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the parts are still not on the car lol, had a hectic few weeks with work and been dealing with my granddad in the hospital on his deathbed:(
if all goes to plan the car should be in the shop Thursday and should be back no later than Saturday if all goes well.
I also got a quote from a tint shop for about 300 to tint the windows and a paint shop for about 350 to colour match the spoiler, so hopefully that side project will come together soon:thumbup:

watch this space!:beer:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
parts are installed and pictures will follow tomorrow hopefully!:beer:

the exhaust is not as loud as I would like but this is due a flapper motor being installed on the exhaust as part of the emissions recall that has been preformed on the diesel engines, but the rear cat has been deleted so it sounds like a diesel now lol. I am considering going down the road of upgrading to a CR170 turbo and doing a full EGR/DPF delete in the future but that is still being debated:p

with the car being lowered and the rear sway bar being on the stiffest setting it now handles like it is on rails when whipping round corners which I love!
all in all it is a much more fun daily driver now and hopefully more will come this year:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bit of a picture dump here: some pictures from the work phase of the car and then a few from today with the car lowered and with the windows tinted plus summer wheels:beer:

IMG_20190403_184002_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184026_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184035_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184037_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184039_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184048_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184053_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184055_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184059_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184105_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184107_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr
IMG_20190403_184110_01 by Liam Walsh, on Flickr