VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Re: ATP's FMIC = Cheapest? (LoGIc)

theres a guy in this forum that makes them pretty cheap... not sure of his name though... i got the ATP one too...

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: ATP's FMIC = Cheapest? (Scooter98144)

I have a $300.00 IC made by a guy named "TYUS",IIRC his e-mail is [email protected] if that is not it,then IM me and I will get you correct one.His IC are not bar+plate like ATP's(Spearco)one,it is tube+fin .The only catch is he makes them in only 30" width and the inlet/outlets are 2.5,intercoolers usually take some heat out of the charge air,but this IC actually cools it down from ambient,the readings I get are for example;92 deg.ambient ,charge air 87deg.,I usually see a drop of 5-11 deg.,which surprised me because I did'nt expect it to cool down the air,but just remove heat.All I can say is it works good and Tyus will probably make you whatever size in/out pipes you like.$300.00 plus shipping,good deal and fast service.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: ATP's FMIC = Cheapest? (speed51133!)

That blew my mind too,but you have to see my IC,it is big,I use my SDS air temp sensor,and my Corrado mfa temp sensor,you are possibly correct,but if you go out and touch my IC on each end tank,one is warm and one is ice cold!I swear to god!My IC has A LOT of turbolaters in it and it works like a mofo,to be honest,this IC is too big for a 8V motor and my turbo(cfm wise)but for my upcoming 16v it will work well,it is in my Corrado doing [email protected] on 13-14psi,pump gas,so it works well enough,I know you speed,will not be impressed by my times,but it is not a race car,it is a fully loaded streetcar racing on low pro rims/tires,2.4 60fts.So this IC seems to work because it is very consistent,I can do back to back 1/4 miles,and no pinking!....Looking for 13's here shortly,BTW I "calibrated" my mfa with a weather report and a outside thermometr,completely unscientific,but I try my best.,your manifolds rock,laterz http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by SILVERADO, 10:09 PM 3-23-2003]

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Re: ATP's FMIC = Cheapest? (SILVERADO)

i was confused by turbolaters!
the best the intercooler can do is cool the charge to the outside temp.
im talking about an air to air intercooler.
thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Re: ATP's FMIC = Cheapest? (vweuroracer)

i got my spearco for 400, its a 24x8x3 core with cast endtanks. i posted a thread with pics in here. they come from extreme machines performance in canada.

·
Banned
2,356 Posts
Re: ATP's FMIC = Cheapest? (timmybgood)

IN ORDER TO HAVE EXIT AIR BELOW AMBIENT YOU EITHER HAVE ONE OF 2 THINGS GOING ON:
1. YOUR INTERCOOLER IS MORE THAN 100% EFFICIENT ( IMPOSSIBLE, READ CARNOT'S THEROYS ON HEAT ENGINES )
2. OR YOUR INTERCOOLER HAS A LEAK AND THE DROP IN PRESSURE CAUSES EXPANSION AND THEREFORE COOLING. THIS IS NOT REALLY SUCH A BAD THING JUST SET YOUR BLOW OFF VALVE TO COMPENSATE FOR THE PRESSURE DROP

PV=NRT

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: ATP's FMIC = Cheapest? (2kjettaguy)

I found the one I'm getting from eBay too. $354 28x6x3 including the endtanks. Better than $475 which is also smaller.
BTW, does anyone think this is too small if I'm shooting for 350-400whp?

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: ATP's FMIC = Cheapest? (LoGIc)

Then explain to me why when I use my infa-red temp gun on the outlet end tank,it is colder than ambient?I want some people who have actually taken readings on this,not just theories about temperature in engines.If you can monitor your charge air temp,and compare it to outside air temp,then post about your experience,cuz I am curious about what people (that actually have FI cars)have experienced,my IC is 30"long,6" tall,so it is BIG for 8V.I see no reason why a IC,in the right conditiojns with a turbo that is not spooling to quickly,would'nt cool it down,if you have actual car readings to refute this,let me Know,school me< I would'nt mind learning something new.Unless my Ray-Tek,Bosch MFA temp sensor and SDS Bosch AT sensor are all malfunctioning,yeah,thats it!
BTW your leak theory could be a possibility,but these are claimed to be leak tested at 30psi,so go figure?Either way,It would be cool to get some feedback on some others real-life readings.

[Modified by SILVERADO, 9:10 AM 3-25-2003]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts