VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Get a Bentley service manual, Amazon or ebay.
A Haynes will do, but the Bentley is better.

Post Pictures of your car, or issue area.
How do I post a picture: open a photobucket account, then upload the pic to
there. Once there click on the picture or the share links. Find the image link and copy and paste that in your post.
P-bucket is click on the img line and it will copy it to your clipboard on your Mac or PC then opposite mouse button (some like me have a left handed mouse.) to paste it in to your text.
Or Mac Command KEY-V.

Get to know:
www.cabby-info.com
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/a1-tech/

Most of all the DIY's are listed there and we will refer you to them consistently. Ron's site takes on the Bentley with steroids.... but use it wisely and don't lie to a Grand Jury about using it.

Use the FAQ sticky, there are a ton of usefully answered questions there.

Read the following post:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1787049-How-to-ask-for-help!

Now please do the following if you haven't.

On the title line of the tex, cursor over to My Settings

Click on My Settings

Click on Edit Profile

Go down to Year/Make/Model Car Owned: in the blank box type your current car as in:
90, 92, 93 Cabriolet or 1992 Karmann Edition Cabriolet but be specific to year and Model

Now go up to location and choose a city large or small that is close to you, so that we know your general area of the country. Why so we can assume that you may have a California equipped car or not.

Start your threads with, I am a newbie, and I am having the following issue, or issues with my car. Then list them on single lines then under that line elaborate:

My battery light stays on and I had to jump my car this morning.
While I was driving I noticed that my Voltmeter was in the 11-12 volts range and
my alternator light was flickering and on and off most of the time.
I noticed that as it was cold, my heater wasn't as hot as it should be.

This will get you a more specific answer as to where you should start looking than:
I had to Jump my car today, and it isn't able to run after the cables are disconnected.

Notice that you should get off the tap-a-talk droid crap and leave the sms and texting lingo
off your posts while a LOL or WTF is ocassionally acceptable, using Evelyn Woods Speed texting, no pagination or punctuation rules don't apply here.

A matter of fact it is very annoying, and I know of a few Tex'ers that will not respond
to your posts.

I usually have to Paginate and correct spelling as I am the worlds worst when it comes to it.
I usually have to Bold your lines and then type mine under it to decipher your "hidden" information.

Many a time I reply with "Year, Make, and Model would be nice to know." and I am really getting tired of having to do that.

Example:

Y'all... I just purchased my 1st Vw .....She is a 1988 cabriolet Karmann ed with unknown miles. Last night while joy riding in it, it started randomly loosing voltage then going back to normal. Drove it to work this morning and it was kinda doing the same thing only... Not quite as bad. Went to leave work, attempted to start 3 times battery light came on, and it would start, I gave it gas and the light went off, but there is this lovely ticking noise coming from around the alternator, battery area and as soon as i put it in gear (manual shift) it lost power and died. Help me out, the noise sounded almost like an exhaust leak, this is the only way I know how to describe it (had a Turd-yota, I know what exhaust leaks sound like). The battery light never came on last night or on the way to work this morning, I don't understand.... So before i invest in a butt ton of parts I MAY NOT need, can someone give me ANY suggestions? No power steering or A/c from the factory, manual windows.......

Corrected, and pseudo paginated.

1988 cabriolet Karmann ed with unknown miles.
All Cabbies are not Karmann editions, that is the plant where they were built, similar to body by Fisher on GM cars.

Last night while joy riding in it, it started randomly loosing voltage then going back to normal. Drove it to work this morning and it was kinda doing the same thing only... Not quite as bad.

That is one of the a signs of a weak alternator, and or a regulator assembly or bad grounds.

Went to leave work, attempted to start 3 times battery light came on, and it would start, I gave it gas and the light went off, but there is this lovely ticking noise coming from around the alternator, battery area and as soon as i put it in gear (manual shift) it lost power and died.

The Alternator light will come on at start and stay on until you rev the engine above 1000 rpm for a brief minute... There is a under frequency detect, as soon as the rpm gets above the threshold the light will go out and stay out.

I would tighten the belt a wee bit on the alternator.

Help me out, the noise sounded almost like an exhaust leak, this is the only way I know how to describe it (had a Turd-yota, I know what exhaust leaks sound like). The battery light never came on last night or on the way to work this morning, I don't understand.... So before i invest in a butt ton of parts I MAY NOT need, can someone give me ANY suggestions? No power steering or A/c from the factory, manual windows.......

Replace all your grounds, that is from the negative battery post, to the frame, and from the frame to the engine. Run a ground wire from the alternator mount, to a case bolt on the alternator, then run a ground from the rear valve cover nut to the firewall.

Getting proper grounds is gonna be one of the best things you can do.

Web sites that you need to get familiar with are:

www.cabby-info.com
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/a1-tech/

There are others but I would start out with those two.

Don't Flame, it only decreases your ability to get answers to your questions in a timely manner, and for Gods sake don't knock Kammy... Her Web-site www.cabby-info.com is the pseudo biblioteck of cabby information. Learn to use it.

See the search key? use it, although it is bothersome and painful at times it is a boon to assist you.

We the "older" (as in membership) members of the VwVortex, really like helping you, and there are a number of folks here who work on these for a living, and
or are passionate on them and really want to assist you, but you need to help us first.

Tell us your issue and all that you know, Paginate, and Punctuate.

You will get a ton of try this and this and that's as you post. We are trying to narrow your issue down, so be patient, and persevere.

If we are able to assist you in fixing your car, then post that it is fixed, and what was the final resolution.
This helps us.

Okay now that we are all following the rules..... Have a pleasant Cabby Day, and may your time here on the tex be more enjoyable, and you will make tons of other cabby friends.

ps... If you want to flame someone, then use the Private mail and keep it between you and they. You can flame me all you
want, I don't really give a Rat's Arse... But I will tell you, that if you flame the wrong person, others will jump all over you.

I have seen it before.. So keep your Flaming for your car, we don't need it here. Life has enough pains, and foibles, lets use the Tex, as a relaxing respite from hostilities.

If you want pictures of cars or rims, use google images you will get more than you ever bargained for.

Thank you for listening to my RANT.... Oh if you don't want to hear an opinion,,,,,don't ask for one... :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
This is truth from the prophet briano and should be heeded lest the wrath of the cabby befall you. Seriously though, listen to this wisdom.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well where do i start. i got dis car and it sucks. it doesnt like to drive me to work i hate its guts. the stupid thing always acts stupid and its stupid a lot. sometimes its like uhhhhhgggg guhhhhhh and other times its like guuuuugggggg uhhhhhhhh. whats the problem with it? i need it fixed asap so any help would be appreciated. rotflmao tyvm lol fml plos (parents looking over shoulder) :cool: never saw that one until a commercial a couple years ago

·
Registered
273 Posts
haha snowyroads:laugh:

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
meh, I'll let you have your rant... hopefully you're over it now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dont meh at his rant. its not a rant so much as it is spoken word from god himself. :p

He is here every day to help idiots like myself and i see posts all the time like the one he mentioned.

i must also accredit tolusina, kammy, sehare*, and mojliniar* for their amazing help. everyone else might as well be taking a shot in the dark like myself :wave:

EDIT: And anyone else that i've forgotten to mention, im sorry but i thank you endlessly.

Long live the cabby forums and everyone who makes it what it is. i love you all!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Volkswagen should invent the "Cabriano"
In honor to the person that help all the noobs like me avoid stupid
mistakes and money on the shop.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I know you guys don't know who I am... At risk of coming across with an elitest attitude, I was on the Vortex a long time ago, and have been here right along all these folks you're calling "gods." I remember when Kam's site launched (looking good!), the152 didn't even exist and therefore neither did this forum (because Cabbys are A1s and Cabrios are A3s), and we could still get new seals and nice tops from RMM...

briano has made a great attempt at doing what people have tried to do in the past. Heck, I think I might have made this same post 8 or 9 years ago. It's frustrating when you really want to help, but people can't help you help them. I understand. I get it. There's a ton of info out there if people look. I know it. The fact of the matter is, no matter how hard to slam your finger tips down on the keyboard, unless you're serving up exactly what someone is looking for on an LED platter, they're not going to put too much work into finding what they're looking for.

You've got two different communities on the Vortex. You've got the group that answers every post and works hard to help people. On the other hand you've got the groups that have grown tired of that and say "use the search." I got to the point where I was saying the same things over and over and over again I just stopped posting. It'll happen.

Eventually you've gotta learn to just roll with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i am a newbie that has often posted these horrible posts and these guys have all really tried to help me. now that i have read what the expectation is for how detailed the info should be hopefully i will no longer be a source of annoyance! thanks for the venting!

·
Registered
18,222 Posts
I got to the point where I was saying the same things over and over and over again I just stopped posting. It'll happen.
Happened to me many, many years ago... hence Cabby-Info.com, so I could just copy & paste answers. :D Shameful ain't it? But it's the truth; that's why the site was initially started... to be a warehouse of answers to FAQs; it's, of course, grown to be more than that.

·
Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,013 Posts
Huh?
idon'tgetzitmykarmakesthisskritzysoundbutnotallatimesometimesitsmorelikespritzythansktrizysometimesitsbothlikeskritzyspritzyothertimesitsmorespritzyskritzyhalpmepuleeze

·
Registered
21,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huh?
idon'tgetzitmykarmakesthisskritzysoundbutnotallatimesometimesitsmorelikespritzythansktrizysometimesitsbothlikeskritzyspritzyothertimesitsmorespritzyskritzyhalpmepuleeze
what the hell is that?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
121 Posts
~ "Describe your problem here!" ~

My $.02 of additional advice: Put your problem or question in the title of the post!

I skip posts where the title says "please help!", "Boy am I pissed!" or "I gotta question"

(edit: Like this one)

Title should say "Can't get muffler bearing out - need advice" or something that describes why you're posting.

:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts