VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oil filter housing

Found out that the oil filter housing needs to be updated also. It includes a check valve to combat the dry start and drain down.

Housing and part #03H 115 403 J

Parts on order.

This better fix this stupid problem, or I am hitting the eject button once this thing is put back together.

·
Administrator
87,858 Posts
Found out that the oil filter housing needs to be updated also. It includes a check valve to combat the dry start and drain down.

Housing and part #03H 115 403 J

Parts on order.

This better fix this stupid problem, or I am hitting the eject button once this thing is put back together.
Has it fixed your problem?????
Or not done yet?

iPhone

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fixed my problems

Putting the revised oil filter housing with the check valve has solved all of my problems. Project has been completed for about 3 weeks. Wasn't to hard.

Including checking the oil pump bolt, it was the revised bolt. Production date on chassis of the Q7 is 10/06/

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
@ 74k I suspect I've encountered the bolt failure in my 2007 Passat 4mo wagon. Got the blinking oil pressure warning light with the stop engine message yesterday afternoon. No other lights. Fortunately I just left my house with the family in tow, so we were only 50 feet from our driveway. I pulled back into the driveway and it was clicking like a 30 year old diesel.

Dealer is closed until Tues, so I haven't flat bedded it yet, but will call first thing on Tues am. (my wife is working early all weekend, so a dealer run isn't possible while I have the kids)

Are there any new 3.6 engines to be had for an '07 Passat? I recall reading in another post (maybe on Passatworld?) where remanufactured engines are being offered?

I'm under CPO, so I expect to have this repaired. However, I will use the info and knowledge gained from this thread to make both the dealer service dept and VWOA aware of what I know.

I'll post dealer findings as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Spoke with dealer service today and they advised it looks like I need a replacement engine, but would not provide any details. They were kinda dicky about it and said they were waiting instruction from VW. They won't even tell me the findings...they simply stated that it looks like a new engine is required. I asked if a "new" engine was even possible given the car isn't manufactured any more. I was told to "not put the egg before the chicken"

I can understand following procedures, but I don't appreciate the tone and lack of information. I also don't like the posturing brought on by a simple follow up call on my part.

Once the issue is confirmed, I will share details here.

@ Robman8023--Are you still compiling information? If so, I'll gladly provide you with copies of work orders once I receive them.
Is there anything you can share with me in terms of work orders or documentation? I intend to badger the nhtsa on this one. There have been other major recalls that require extensive labor for much less common problems than this engine. (audi rollover nipple valve gas tank recall for one)

·
Administrator
87,858 Posts
Really? "not put the egg before the chicken"? They said that? Omg
They really need to chill out with their BS here. It's your car, and their bad part. You are due some explanation!

Let us know, keep us posted. I know they want to make sure it's that dreaded bolt prior to making promises (I don't blame them there) but this is silly.

iPhone

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Contacted NHTSA this am. Awaiting a response

I contacted the NHTSA this am to ask for direction on how to present them with documenation and findings related to this issue. My plan is to compile work orders and any related info and present to the NHTSA. To date, there are only a handful of complaints listed on the NHTSA site for this issue. Not enough to raise flags, but if we come at them with a list of failures with details and documentation we may gain some traction. (I don't know how likely, but worth a shot, right?)

My goal is to follow up with the NHTSA until they confirm having reviewed the information we provide. I will need help from those on this forum if we're going to get anywhere. I'm under warranty, so I expect to have repairs made, but I would like to force VW into a recall which will prevent others from experiencing the same engine failure.

More to come...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Got an off the record confirmation of oil pump bolt failure, but no details. Dealer is still awaiting direction from VW. What's a reasonable time frame for response and proposed resolution?

VW doesn't cover rental costs and dealer doesn't do loaners. I'm renting at almost $40 a day on my own dime and can't afford to rent for a month.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I had an answer back from VWOA in 1 day. And the dealer provided me a loaner for free, on 3 different occasions. If your car is CPO you should have coverage even if the dealer does not provide loaners.
I tried reading through the CPO info and couldn't find any reference to coverage. Thanks for the heads up. I'm calling the dealer again shortly for a status update and request a loaner or rental coverage.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
NHTSA has agreed to escalate and review documentation that we compile!!

I've received a response from the NHTSA and they will gladly accept documentation such as work orders, photos and list of fellow owners reporting failures. They've opened an escalated case for the issue and have advised they will review the documentation we provide.

Now's our chance to force VW's hand. If I show up with three documents, they're going to put it on the back burner and take future correspondence from us less seriously.
I'm asking for anyone who is willing to share documents with me, so that I can compile, scan and email and snail mail directly to the NHTSA as a complete file. The more the better!!

Thanks!

I don't want to beat down the rest of the forum members, but is it worth posting a new thread to specifically request this info now that the NHTSA is ready to review?

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I tried reading through the CPO info and couldn't find any reference to coverage. Thanks for the heads up. I'm calling the dealer again shortly for a status update and request a loaner or rental coverage.
unless there is an option when you bought the car that you did not opt for? I am not sure I just know mine was CPO and I had coverage and it seemed to me VW Roadside is standard for new car and cpo warranties no matter what. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Spoke with the dealer and VW. Both said no loaner and neither is obligated to provide a loaner or cover cost of rental. Outstanding service on both parts.
thats really strange man, maybe i am getting that confused with the towing then. i had it towed 2 times for free and then had 3 different loaners. the one occasion I did not have to have it towed but they still provided me a loaner car.

best of luck to you

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
FV-QR

If VW would have told me in writing that they were going to cover any damages caused by the oil bolt failure regardless of warranty status, I would still have my B6. Instead, we went from 2 VWs in the garage to zero. I sold the B6 (replaced with a Silverado) and the Jetta lease ran out (replaced with a Regal Turbo).

Stuff like this plus the cheapening of the new Jetta and Passat will make it difficult for me to buy another VW or recommend one to others.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Update

I've collected some documents from owners willing to share and have been noting what I think are key facts from this and other forum threads. I wanted to get everything wrapped up and sent to the NHTSA by July 1, but work and travel put me behind. I plan to get if off to them this week! Going to send as a hard copy and as an electronic copy. I'll send the hard copy as certified mail so I get delivery confirmation. Here are the points I intend to show...

1) This is a safety issue (stating the obvious)
2) I intend to clarify how many owners documented here or in other forums
3) I will show that VW was aware of the issue as early as 2006
4) Show that VW new of the issue by referencing upgraded bolt for '08 and beyond
5) Indicate that even for a known issue, VW won't repair or reimburse out of warranty failures (more a consumer affairs issue, but I'm putting it here to start that ball rolling)

For the NHTSA I will include:
Engine Pics (disassembled)
Bolt part #s
Work orders
A write up to tie all this together.

If by some miracle VW is forced into a recall, my next goal will be to force VW to reimburse those who paid out of pocket for post warranty repair.

Would I be tipping VW off too early if I told them what was sent to the NHTSA?

321 - 340 of 368 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.