VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
361 - 368 of 368 Posts

·
Administrator
87,858 Posts
Day 33 is all you need to know.
Yes, he had his oil pump bolt back out. They replaced it all. And I am looking up the correct part # on the upgraded bolt for you, to make sure they put the correct one back in...
EDIT: Yes they did.
1N-104-044-04 is the upgraded bolt #, and it's listed on your parts list as simply "screw".

How many miles on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Day 33 is all you need to know.
Yes, he had his oil pump bolt back out. They replaced it all. And I am looking up the correct part # on the upgraded bolt for you, to make sure they put the correct one back in...
EDIT: Yes they did.
1N-104-044-04 is the upgraded bolt #, and it's listed on your parts list as simply "screw".

How many miles on this?

Mind you, I'm not looking at purchasing the specific vehicle that I quoted - the one I'm looking at just had service done with the same code (15331971) and similar symptoms. All I was able to get from the service shop was this code, no list of parts associated with the service. I'm just looking for input as to whether others here believe it's a safe assumption that this was related to the oil pump bolt defect and that part most likely got replaced at this time. I realize it's all just an educated guess, not holding anyone to their answer, so any conjecture is welcome :).

The vehicle has ~ 115K miles.

·
Administrator
87,858 Posts
That code is "Chain Housing Cover Remove & Install".
There are only a couple things to do while in there.
If it was the UPPER chain cover that would NOT include the bolt but if you're saying the trans was removed as well then chances are it was the lower cover.
If it's the lower cover than the only items that can be replaced in there:
Rear Main Seal
Chains/Guides
Oil pump and/or bolt.

EDIT: so a safe assumption to make would be the bolt was replaced.
I'm sorry I didn't read all that clearly before. Was rushing through.
Chains don't usually need done til 125-150k so I doubt it needed chains, oil pump by itself rarely fails, rear main rarely fails.
I'd say the bolt failed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, Nate. I read your thread on VWVortex about your 3.6L engine replacement, so your opinion holds A LOT of credibility :).

The next question is - do you recommend staying away from a 3.6 with 100K miles on it? From reading that thread, I get the sense you're not too enamored of its long-term durability. I don't have a problem doing the higher level of maintenance, but I'm not looking for a money pit, either. Those plastic chain guides disintegrating on your engine is making me think twice - was this a one-off thing or have you heard of this being more common?

Again, appreciate the input.

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
I'm curious if this problem has happened more often in the last 5 years.

I'm thinking of buying a 2007 Touareg with this engine.....
At this age you need to plan on doing chains/guides at a bare minimum if it hasn’t been done. My opinion is don’t do the chains but rather buy a low mile engine from a Late Touareg and swap it in since the engine is relatively cheap compared to the labor to pull it and do the work.

361 - 368 of 368 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.