VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you with the euro lights. I need to know what exactly your headlight switch does for you in positions 1 and 2. The reason I ask is because my switch seems to do different things at different times especially when your the throw the fog light switch into the mix. Most of the time positions 1 and 2 simply turn the low beams on. Sometimes position 1 will do the city lights and 2 will do low beams or sometimes position 1 will do lowbeams and 2 highbeams. I must have some wiring problem but I'm stupid at these things.
What exactly should I have to do to get just the city lights, lowbeams, high beams.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Re: Attn Euro light owners (Corrado Fiend)

Do a search. The first batch of us had the same problem. You used 2 realys right?? Try turning the high beams on and then turn the headlight switch back off, Then back to position 1-now just your city lights should work. The explaination I was given is that there is enough voltage put through the low beam wire w/the headlight switch in postition 1 to trigger the low beam relay.
See what you can find in this:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=144385
Mine still don't work right.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Re: Attn Euro light owners (G60247)

there is a simple trick to remedy this common problem.
I did it to my corrado when i had it.
on the back of the switch, you need to move one of the exisiting wires to a different location on the harness labeled NSF. i forget which wire it was though. Im sure someone else can chime in on this.
With this simple procedure, your headlamp switch will work exactly like stock
OFF >> Parking Lights >> Headlamps & Parking Lights

-Brian

·
Registered
2019 Arteon R-Line +APR
2,109 Posts

It would be nice if someone could get a pick of where the wires go for this mod. I would like to know about this switch thing as well.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Re: Attn Euro light owners (alphazero)

The Thick White/Black stripe(headlight low beam wire) has to be moved from its original terminal into the cavity of the NSL terminal on the back of the switch.This is performed if you have the special wire terminal tools,or by some heavy duty paper clips.I will take some pics and send them to someone who can post because I am a fool that cannot post pics.

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Re: Attn Euro light owners (JediCorrado)

Yeah, I tried getting that phucker out for like an hour and then said "F it"
I cut it and threw a new connection on the end, much, much easier.
- Jack

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Attn Euro light owners (KinetikSLC)

I'm trying to get that sucker out right now. So if I use two big paperclips, I'm guessing the trick is to depresse the top and bottom of that pronged end?
I stopped by VW during my lunch break at the ************ would not even give me the time of day. They said they pop it out for me but they'd have to charge me the standard labor of ONE HOUR!

[Modified by Corrado Fiend, 5:00 PM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
18,646 Posts

Yup, of course they did!
Best bet is to take a paper clip, straighten it out, bend it so you can apply pressure firmly by squeezing it, and shove both ends into the 2 holes on top of the clip and push while pulling the other end SLOWLY.
It is a bitch, you may be better off going back to that dealer and getting like 5 connections for the end and just cut it and splice it into the new one, then putting it in.
- Jack

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Attn Euro light owners (NeedSLCBad)

I did this two weeks ago. It is indeed the white and black wire, moved to the NSF position. Talk to the mechanics directly at VW, not the idiot service managers (who are probably on some sort of commission). I gave the mechanic a heads up, and he had the tool waiting for me when I stopped by a couple of days later. Very cool guy. Took all of 30 seconds with the tool; I'd hate to have to fumble with paper clips or such, but now that I've seen how it works with the factory tool, I think I might be able to jimmy it that way.
Good luck...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts