VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Geriatric Member
14,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We've said it before and will say it again. Georg Kacher knows his $h*t. We like to think we're well informed in these pages and that level of knowledge constantly confirms to us that Kacher is even better in-the-know. The German auto journalist who contributes to CAR and Automobile among others has filed his latest intel report on crossover expansion and one of the most interesting notes the piece is a suggestion that Audi's 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 may swap its supercharger for a single turbo in its next generation.

This new turbocharged 3.0 TFSI was mentioned in the context of an upcoming Q6 and Kacher hinted that its single turbo setup would be good for 300 hp and 400 Nm (295 ft-lb). It's also said to consume 20% less than the current supercharged 3.0T.

Read more about it in Kacher's crossover piece via the link below.

Full Story

·
Registered
25,629 Posts
Didn't Audi switch to superchargers because it was more fuel efficient than twin turbo?

So now they want to switch to single turbo because it is more fuel efficient than supercharger?

If you follow this to its logical conclusion, no forced induction is the way to go... :p 4.2 V8 FTW :D

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
seems like low power for a boosted 6 no?

i bet its efficient and safe that way but why bother with all the baggage for similar/ less power as other makes NA offernigs

now dont get me wrong cause i am sure the tuners will take over after that..lol

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

i bet its efficient and safe that way but why bother with all the baggage for similar/ less power as other makes NA offernigs

It's on par with Audi/VW's mainstream turbo engines (1.8t=180hp, 2.0t=200, 2.7t=250hp)

·
Registered
766 Posts
My 2011 S4 has this supercharged motor in it. I think I would still choose this over a single turbo. But a TT V6 with newer technology. Like a remake of the B5 S4 with more HP and better tech would make me consider trade in.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Excuse the ignorance, but how comes Audi keeps the T acronym even in supercharged models?
T is the designation for the TFSI motor.

The article mentioned this power output for the Q6 and not the next generation S4. I'm sure Audi would increase the boost for the same HP/TQ output of the current generation.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Didn't Audi switch to superchargers because it was more fuel efficient than twin turbo?

So now they want to switch to single turbo because it is more fuel efficient than supercharger?

If you follow this to its logical conclusion, no forced induction is the way to go... :p 4.2 V8 FTW :D
wow you know nothing about engines.

·
Registered
23,117 Posts
why not just plumb up a rear mounted turbo to a supercharged 3.0t? Best of all worlds.
too many people would back their cars up into curbs, effectively destroying the turbo and rear bumper.

they'd complain that their car wasn't fast enough anymore :laugh:

·
Registered
2015 Audi S4, 2002 Honda S2000
6,712 Posts
Excuse the ignorance, but how comes Audi keeps the T acronym even in supercharged models?
It was supposed to be turbocharged, but then half way they changed their minds and wanted to do a supercharger because of the awesome whine noise. Year later they got tired of it and want to go with turbo, as planned originally...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts