VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't easily come across good info on them. I did a nationwide craiglook.com search and only came across a handful of beat down examples. But I am definately intriqued. I love the shape and size of them.

A few questions:

I've heard these have bullet proof awd systems. Is that true and why?

How were these marketed back in the day? What would someone cross shop these with.

What are the common problems? Would trying to daily one end in murderous rage for a shadetree mechanic?

How rare are these really? Any production numbers for the US?

· Registered
9,911 Posts
A few questions:

I've heard these have bullet proof awd systems. Is that true and why?
Pretty much, fully mechanical AWD, really nothing that can go wrong. The rear suspension is the same as the front, just turned around, so broken parts are easy to source.

How were these marketed back in the day? What would someone cross shop these with.
Well, if you were looking at an Audi for luxury, you probably would have also looked at E30s or C-Class Mercs. If you were shopping for AWD, most likely Subarus or Toyota All-Tracs.

What are the common problems? Would trying to daily one end in murderous rage for a shadetree mechanic?
Not at all, I found them very easy to work on. Problems include electrical issues, and CIS injection frustrations, neither of which are too severe if you know how to troubleshoot them.

How rare are these really? Any production numbers for the US?
They are plentiful here in CO, on the roads and in the yards. No idea about numbers.

· Registered
5,624 Posts
The 5-cylinder and drivetrain are bulletproof.

However, your sunroof and vacuum lines will leak. Your window switches and regulators will die. Your door handles/locks will cease to operate, as well most of your interior electricals. These are not potentials, they are guaranteed ;)

Had a nightmare example with all the above problems and many more, but with 230k it still ran great (minus the vacuum lines).

They were all 5-speed, no autos, which is great. the transmissions are generally solid.
Not many of these cars around, so if you buy one, be sure to stock up on all the parts you can.

· Registered
9,906 Posts
One of the funnest cars you will ever get to drive in the snow. I had more fun in my 4k than a 05 WRX. I sold mine after i essentially drove it into the ground. It had 240xxx on it and ran like it was new. Drive one in the snow, you will buy one after that

· Registered
26,635 Posts
You're referencing the 4000S/CS quattro.

There was also an FWD version of this car which used either a 1.7L or 1.8L engine; the latter was effectively identical to the hi-comp 8v RD/HT code engine used in the 85-87 Mk2 GTI/GLI. Those cars were available with automatics, and--keeping with Audi tradition of the day (and that of VW through the B5.5 chassis cars), FWD versions had a semi-independent beam rear axle rather than IRS.

The above stated RE: electrical/interior component failures is potentially true--but I would say no more so than on any optioned-up mid-80's VW product. Also less likely if you buy an 85-up example. The '84's are highly prized for drivetrain swaps into Ur-Quattros as the gearing is lower. They are also lighter and have solid-lifter engines (later cars had 2.2 or 2.3L hydro-head motors). The '84's are the most fun to drive in my opinion, but the electrical systems are horrible. NOTHING is likely to work unless the fuse/relay panel has been replaced. I drove an '81 Audi 4000 5+5 with the same basic engine + FWD 5 speed for a brief bit. NOTHING apart from the head/running lamps, wipers, and...uh...one instrument panel light worked on that car.

The 5 cylinder motors are unkillable--IF you keep the cooling systems well maintained. They don't suffer overheating well.

· Registered
1,729 Posts
My old 4000 10v turbo :( miss it bad...

They are hard to find and the ones you do find are usually garbage.

· Registered
Buzzy Italian and Practical Czech
1,848 Posts
They share some (very distant) DNA with the VW Fox.
Both longitudinal engine and what not.
A popular(ish) swap is a 5spd from a 4k fwd into a Fox.

Mind you I could be absolutely wrong about the shared DNA thing.
Tranny swap is true though!

· Registered
5,486 Posts
They share some (very distant) DNA with the VW Fox.
Both longitudinal engine and what not.
A popular(ish) swap is a 5spd from a 4k fwd into a Fox.

Mind you I could be absolutely wrong about the shared DNA thing.
Tranny swap is true though!
They're actually much closer to the B2 Passat, sold in the US as the Quantum. A Quantum GL-5 Syncro is a mechanical twin of the 4000q.

· Registered
Buzzy Italian and Practical Czech
1,848 Posts
They're actually much closer to the B2 Passat, sold in the US as the Quantum. A Quantum GL-5 Syncro is a mechanical twin of the 4000q.
If I remember well the chassis code for the Fox is BX, as I said: very distant brazilian cousin.

· Registered
10,107 Posts
Isn't that what Ferris Bueller's dad drives?

That's a 5000.

Echoing the sentiments of all others in this thread. Family had an 85 4000S Quattro with the 10 valve 5 cylinder. The odometer stopped working around 240,000 miles, and the car died long after that when the head gasket went (IIRC). The power locks didn't work, the window regulators failed, the sunroof leaked into your lap, the radio didn't work, half the display didn't light up, the seat heaters didn't work...God I miss that car. I really did love it! For when I was driving it (late 90's) it still looked, felt, and drove like a nice car.

· Registered
455 Posts
having owned multiple 4000 q's, 100's 80q's, 90q's cq's, also with an original quattro coupe turbo and an original s6 still in the garage, i can say that the 4000 is the best car audi has ever made. i would pay silly copious amounts for mint 1987 tornado red with quattro script interior.

· Registered
5,764 Posts
I agree!

Its the best car that i've owned and is a total blast in the snow!

My wife used to have a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT and I lost all confidence in it going over a mountain pass up here in Washington. When we got back home from my trip I found a 4k on craigslist because I have always wanted one and sold the Subaru back to the dealer. They sent me a letter saying due to its popularity they'd buy it back with no money out of my pocket.

Our 4k has pretty much had all of the usual issues over time and i've fixed them and even bought a parts car.....hehehe Some of the issues include the leaky trunk, the dead odometer, door locks stop working, door handle stops working/breaks, random vacuum lines leaking, the famous "spare fuse," clutch pedal to the floor and the almost impossible to get to air filter!

Since we've had it i've built quite the stockpile of parts to keep it going and parts that are near impossible to find.

I have been considering selling mine because the family has grown and we haven't used it much lately.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
The only thing that will kill these cars mechanically is rust.

Unlike the 5000/100/200 series, these things were not rust-proofed well.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything that would keep me away from a well sorted 4k thats NOT running CIS

· Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! A friend on mine found one that looks reasonably nice for a low price. He's looking at it soon and may buy it. I will post some pics. I would really like one of these and will have to keep an eye out for them.

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Isn't that what Ferris Bueller's dad drives?

It's a 200 Quattro.

No, it isn't. The rear suspension/differential assembly is completely different.

i would pay silly copious amounts for mint 1987 tornado red with quattro script interior.
Why pay so much? How about just over $2K?

· Registered
455 Posts
It's a 200 Quattro.

Why pay so much? How about just over $2K?
nope. ferris bueller's dad drove a 5000, not a 200. the dash is a dead giveaway, as are the protruding door handles. also, the movie was filmed in 1986 and the 5000 to 100/200 switcheroo here stateside was 1989 or something.

i've had my eye on your car. your local as hell, too. alas i would only get another 4kq if it was either concours or 20vt. ought to sell fast, you just can't find a good 4000 out there.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.