VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having this issue when the weather got colder and it has gotten worse. The car acts as if the parking brake is on when in Low or Reverse. Once out of Low, the transmission shifts normally. I changed the fluid and it was brownish/burnt smelling. I had the transmission rebuild in 2003 and it lasted as long as a set of tires. I've seen kits to rebuild these and I have the Bentley Manual set. I've done some work rebuilding engines and am not afraid to tackle this.
Suggestions? Is this something that can be done if care and cleanliness are observerd? What sort of special tools are required? Recommendations on the rebuild kit manufacturer? Where to buy hard parts if required?
Thanks!
Kirk S

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Re: Audi 5000 087 Low/Reverse Problems (crayzkirk)

Go for it!
every city has at least several parts suppliers for auto trans components. sometimes you'll need to buy a whole kit of soft and/or hard parts....other times you can buy just what you need.
It may be a LOT cheaper to buy a good used transmission and install it....or use it for parts. I got my last VW trans at a self service yard for $60.
Your Bentley manual should tell you what special tools you need. If not, buy a ATSG manual, which you can usually get for $20 or $25 if you shop around.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts