VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here´s my B2 project that I have been building for few years. Car is MY 1985 quattro, originally 1.8 8V engine. I am using 16V engine that was previously in my Golf mk2 project car. Car is still in progress, but hopefully get it working this summer.

Car was already stripped when I bought it. I put engine in place so I could see how much space is needed for 3.5" exhaust. Also I mounted all suspension parts so I could see that how much fenders needed to be widened.

After that car was stripped again and I rolled it over so could weld bottom of the car.

After weldings were done car was transported to painting, where it was painted also from inside and bottom.

Then all suspension parts were mounted and also fuel/brake lines.

I also fabricated hood from glass fiber.

Now car is in stage that windows and engine are mounted. Interior is almost ready. Maybe month or two and car is ready to be driven. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Absolutely Stunning!

Fantastic work. Keep us posted as you put the finishing touches on it.

Cheers,

Ted
86 Coupe GT
82 4000 4E
90 V8 quattro

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for compliments!

I had problems to find any bolt-on solution for clutch. If I was using 5syl or 1.8t 20V there would be many options, but for longitunal mounted 16V I could´n find any.

Heres some pics of clutch that I am using. Pressure plate is SRE which I used in my Golf mk2 and clutch plate is 4 puck sintered. Flywheel is custom made. I have some doupts that this could slip because it is only 228mm, but time will tell.

Is someone here having a 16VT engine in 4000/80q? What clutches are you using?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I'm in love with my 85 again. That is really nice. What trans and rear diff are you using? It looks like the more modern trans/diff. I have often thought of just dumping a 16V 2.0 in mine just for a little bump in HP but yours is sweet.:wave:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
This might be the easiest and most logical swap for me as I have a ton of 16v stuff just laying around at my house. It wouldn't be turboed but it would have more HP and torque than the stock engine.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
holy crap!!:eek: amazing work so far. Youll have fun with the 4 puck unsprung clutch, I just put a 6 puck unsprung in my 16v and its not fun in town

1 - 20 of 42 Posts