VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Audi is extending the A1 family – the A1 Sportback is coming in early 2012. The five-door model is emotional and individual, communicative and youthful, sporty and efficient. The A1 Sportback hopes to build on the success of the three-door A1.

Full Story

·
Registered
433 Posts
But...

Naturally, no US version, right?

BMW is doing well with the 1 class here as well as the Mini. Obviously, there is a market here for upscale subcompacts. Lots of folks I know want to have a quick, sporty nice car that is fun to drive, but is just small and easy to own.... like folks who live in the core of cities where parking is a premium. We have tons of A3s here. Why won't Audi wise up and bring the A1 here?

·
Registered
16,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a question of hardware. A1 is based on the PQ25 architecture. This is the same architecture that underpins the Polo, Skoda Fabia and SEAT Ibiza. The investment of federalization (i.e. qualification for US sale) has not been made in PQ25 and would make much more sense if VW also made the decision to do this in order to benefit from economies of scale. Thus far it hasn't and half way through a production cycle (for Polo), it won't happen. Audi executives have told us that maybe during the car's second generation after it migrates to MQB it could come here and I believe they share your opinion once they are able to do so without making the entire investment on their own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts