·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is from car and drivers website..

quote:[HR][/HR]Volkswagen to Split in Two
November 26, 2001
Page 1 of 1

Volkswagen AG announced management shifts and a reorganization of its operations. Europe's largest car maker will divide its brands into two separate groups to give is various brands a clearer identity so that they no longer compete against each other and to improve production efficiency.
The Audi branch will be headed by VW management-board member Martin Winterkorn, and will consist of brands that have a "sporty" image, the company said. These include the current Audi lineup, Seat of Spain and Lamborghini.
VW's chairman-elect Bernd Pischetsrieder will head the Volkswagen group, which includes of brands with a "classic" image, namely VW, Skoda of the Czech Republic, Bentley and Bugatti, VW said. Pischetsrieder was named in September to replace long-standing VW boss Ferdinand Piech
According to a Wall Street Journal report, the VW group will be aimed at cradle-to-grave buyers who start out young driving a low-priced Polo and gradually move up through increasingly larger and more expensive models. It's the same sort of strategy that Alfred Sloan applied to General Motors in the '30s. [HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Re: audi and vw splitting up? (kmlee1113)

Sorry but the VW version of the reincarnation of Bentley and Bugatti ARE NOT CLASSIC... they are closer to sporty... ever seen a 16 cylinder called a classic car? I thought not... LoL
But then again are Mercedes-Benz S600's considered sporty? No... the Bentley and Bugatti are definitely sporty due to their stance and composure even at a standstill... it looks like it grabs the ground...
Those two brand aren't the typical Maybach... NOW the Maybach is classic...

[Modified by 2001Bora, 5:40 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: audi and vw splitting up? (2001Bora)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sorry but the VW version of the reincarnation of Bentley and Bugatti ARE NOT CLASSIC... they are closer to sporty... ever seen a 16 cylinder called a classic car? I thought not... LoL
But then again are Mercedes-Benz S600's considered sporty? No... the Bentley and Bugatti are definitely sporty due to their stance and composure even at a standstill... it looks like it grabs the ground...

[Modified by 2001Bora, 5:40 PM 11-26-2001][HR][/HR]​
What the hell does that have to do with VW and Audi splitting up?

[Modified by woodrell, 5:59 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: audi and vw splitting up? (woodrell)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sorry but the VW version of the reincarnation of Bentley and Bugatti ARE NOT CLASSIC... they are closer to sporty... ever seen a 16 cylinder called a classic car? I thought not... LoL

[Modified by 2001Bora, 5:40 PM 11-26-2001]
What the hell does that have to do with VW and Audi splitting up?

[Modified by woodrell, 5:59 PM 11-26-2001][HR][/HR]​
I heard that Audi was cheating on VW so VW started something with Buggatti behind Audi's back. They went to counseling, but it wasn't working, so they're splitting up.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts

They're not splitting in any sense of the word. A new chairman, corporate re-orgs, etc. are almost always chess moves so to speak in this type of industry. It's implementing a new marketing strategy & exterior image from the top-down, when behind the scenes almost everything remains the same.
Like the article mentioned, it looks like they just want more 'perceived' differentiation between the brands- so sales for both are optimized. For example, your average Joe probably doesnt know of any correlation between Nissan & Infiniti...or Lexus & Toyota..... I imagine that's the public image VW/Audi would like to move closer to.
* On the same note, tell an A4 owner they have a nice Passat & watch what happens

·
Registered
7,873 Posts

Duh... the basis on their split is to have a sporty group and a classic group... that's what I said.
Bentley and Bugatti don't belong in the VW groups which is considered as classic; they belong in the Audi group...
What didn't you understand? I kept right on the topic.
I made a comparison to say that if they want classic they should have a name closer to Mercedes-Benz's Maybach brand that will be out in a few years; it's basically an ultra luxurious sedan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.