VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audi Electric future is coming soon

Audi is giving its A4 and A6 models an end date as combustion engines. The same is said to apply to the A8. Even in plug-in hybrids Audi apparently no longer wants to invest heavily. These decisions are likely to be the cornerstones of the exit plan from the internal combustion engine drawn up under Audi CEO Markus Duesmann.

These steps are mentioned in a portrait of Duesmann, who has been at the helm of the VW subsidiary in Ingolstadt for three quarters of a year, in the German publication Manager Magazin. Specifically, it says that new versions of the A4 and A6 will be launched again from 2023 and electric variants will follow a little later, but that Audi does not even want to offer the mid-range models as internal combustion engines until the end of their life. Ergo, the end will be before 2030.

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
480 Posts
I write this article as soon as I woke up ... gives a new meaning to wake up and smell the coffee .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
I really want to see an organized effort to expand the charging infrastructure. Unless you own a Tesla, it's not ready for prime time yet.

It won't take much to get there, but I want to see a few OEMs sync up and coordinate efforts. I won't actively look at EVs until I know I can use one as a primary vehicle, and that means I need to easily be able to take it on a road trip somewhere without worry of a charging network.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I really want to see an organized effort to expand the charging infrastructure. Unless you own a Tesla, it's not ready for prime time yet.

It won't take much to get there, but I want to see a few OEMs sync up and coordinate efforts. I won't actively look at EVs until I know I can use one as a primary vehicle, and that means I need to easily be able to take it on a road trip somewhere without worry of a charging network.
That's basically what the Electrify America initiative is supposed to do. It's making progress.

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Audi Electric future is coming soon
This isn't an "Audi electric" future, it's all German/Euro cars.

The late 20s are going to be an interesting transition period for sure.
And not just for cars, but more importantly how countries expand their grids to keep up.

My interest is in seeing how Germany (the 4th largest GDP and 5th largest current user of electricity in the world today) can build out a grid for an EV-only future within the next 10-20 years when they also intend to completely phase out (internally owned/run) nuclear and coal. Having renewable power only be able to provide ~40% (best case in 2020) of the energy usage means a heavy dose of natural gas from Russia and Scandinavia in the future. In 2020 NG provided 12% of the energy and will need to increase to 50%+ in order to keep the lights on. Unless some new type of renewable energy source is invented and brought to market or you cover the entire landscape with panels and windmills, electricity costs from Russian NG is going to be volatile and expensive.

Interesting times...

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
It'd be nice if gassers were kept for limited uses like the RS or even some S models.
I don't see that happening. The cost to develop new ICE products is likely much higher than it will be to develop EVs once the tech is established. I don't see RS and S products "going backward" to ICE - I see them pushing the EV envelope even further.

·
Premium Member
43,421 Posts
I don't see that happening. The cost to develop new ICE products is likely much higher than it will be to develop EVs once the tech is established. I don't see RS and S products "going backward" to ICE - I see them pushing the EV envelope even further.
only saving grace is there is some form of advancement in bio fuels or synthetic fuels

·
Registered
106 Posts
It will be interesting to see when the new ICE cars from all these manufactures becoming obsolete. Why buy a new car if it is going to be a paperweight in a few years?

·
Registered
4,846 Posts

Part of Biden's platform was to faciliate the installation of 550,000 EV charge points throughout the U.S. I imagine the number available will ramp up pretty significantly over the next few years.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
That's my bet. The performance of EV is > than ICE typically from vehicle dynamics is my understanding as the CG height is super low by comparison when the battery pack is on the floor. I expect weight to start being offset by body advanced materials.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,601 Posts
It will be interesting to see when the new ICE cars from all these manufactures becoming obsolete. Why buy a new car if it is going to be a paperweight in a few years?
I could write a novel about how much I agree with this statement and why. I'll just say the day will come when ICE vehicles with their big grilles, exhaust pipes, NVH, and toxic petrochemicals will seem absolutely archaic and values will tank as such (minus classic cars/enthusiast vehicles where that's accepted as part of the charm). I'm sure the RS6 will do fine from a value perspective, but my everyday A6 will soon be a jalopy.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
How soon is soon? Look at how many 10+ yr old cars are still on the road today.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,601 Posts
How soon is soon? Look at how many 10+ yr old cars are still on the road today.
Note I'm not saying ICE cars will simply go away, just that values will plummet to keep them competitive with EVs. I live in the Bay Area where people keep their cars forever. Case in point as I typed that last sentence a mint condition 1998 Mercury Mountaineer drove by followed by a first generation X-Terra. Naturally for those folks change doesn't matter as they'll keep whatever car they currently have for decades regardless of what happens.

I'm talking about the more modern used car market i.e. things that qualify for being CPO. Maybe my A6 isn't a good example because it's already 4 years old meaning by the time this happens it'll already be a fully depreciated old car. That said imagine buying a new A6 today then trying to sell it 4 years from now. The year is 2025 and while the car still has tons of life/residual left, it now has to compete with the onslaught of cool and affordable EVs that are smoother, quieter, and cheaper to operate. Buyers will then have to choose between a used gas powered A6 or a new electric A4 or whatever. At least here in the Bay Area, I know they'll choose the EV every time and that will ultimately tank gas powered A6 values even further.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts