VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
If Audi is really dumping the ICE A4 before 2030, and coming out with a simpler, more reliable, more powerful, clean car, I'd hate to be the guy who bought a 2026 or 2027 ICE last hurrah and be stuck trying to trade it in in 4-5 years. You'd definitely need to be buying it for the long haul at that point.
The EV A4 will still cost much more than a used ICE A4, and the ICE A4 will get people from point A to B mostly the same. I think ICE resale values won't be a concern until the % of EVs on the road is so high that gasoline/diesel infrastructure starts to take a hit. Even with a ban on new ICEV sales that's probably decades away.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Audi Electric future is coming soon

Electric future only for us peasants. Our overlords will still be able to enjoy ICE engines.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The EV A4 will still cost much more than a used ICE A4, and the ICE A4 will get people from point A to B mostly the same. I think ICE resale values won't be a concern until the % of EVs on the road is so high that gasoline/diesel infrastructure starts to take a hit. Even with a ban on new ICEV sales that's probably decades away.
There are already fewer gas stations than there were a few years ago. That is how it will end, though. You want to go on a long trip, but how will you buy gas? There will be range anxiety for ICE cars.

There will still be enthusiasts fueling their 1959 Morgan with gas they ordered from Amazon, delivered by automated electric delivery robots.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
There are already fewer gas stations than there were a few years ago. That is how it will end, though. You want to go on a long trip, but how will you buy gas? There will be range anxiety for ICE cars.

There will still be enthusiasts fueling their 1959 Morgan with gas they ordered from Amazon, delivered by automated electric delivery robots.
:D

The bit about the eccentric Morgan enthusiast conjured images of Nigel Shiftright.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
So going for a cross country ICE trip in 2040 will be like going for a cross country BEV trip now? I can deal with that.

That said, I remember getting slighty anxious with my TDI as there were times when we were travelling that the range dropped into the 200km to go area and not knowing if the upcoming station would have diesel or not did raise my heartrate a bit.

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Pipedream. These gadgets lose 40% of their range when we have very cold weather like today.

The idea of a synthetic fuel using existing infrastructures has been dismissed too easily, thanks to the enviro-freaks.

·
Banned
785 Posts
So going for a cross country ICE trip in 2040 will be like going for a cross country BEV trip now? I can deal with that.

That said, I remember getting slighty anxious with my TDI as there were times when we were travelling that the range dropped into the 200km to go area and not knowing if the upcoming station would have diesel or not did raise my heartrate a bit.
Ice Trip?! Elon plans to transfer 1 million to Mars by 2050 😁

And I hope we can come to some type of agreement which do not allow them to return, because the ones that can afford Mars are the one's responsible for Earth's downfall. Sorry to digress and get off subject but now I wonder how much the travel back and forth in these spaceships will alter the co2 and ozone layer.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts