VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Geriatric Member
14,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Audi AG CEO Rupert Stadler raised a few eyebrows at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January when he confirmed that Audi was still very much considering a North American production point. Just how this manifests itself remains to be seen, but Automobile's Georg Kacher thinks he may have an idea... at least in part.

According to Kacher, who's usually privy to board-level decisions being made, the Volkswagen Group is considering an expansion to its new facility in CHattanooga and one intended to build so-called "high roof" vehicles such as crossovers.

The primary product, according to Kacher is a mid-sized Volkswagen crossover that could be based on the group's transverse architecture (MQB), but also may go the way of Audi and Porsche SUVs with longitudinal engine placement.

Story And Our Thoughts

·
Banned
4,099 Posts
That means they will become an American car, right? So Audi, Porsche, and VW crossoevers won't be German cars anymore?

·
Banned
16,654 Posts
^:what:

If they deem it a good move financially, then they will probably do it.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
I understand the idea of a (US) Passat wagon-based cross-over - it could be fairly inexpensive on the MQB platform. But for something more substantial (or luxury-oriented), they really need to use the MLB platform. At the same time, there is a market for 7-seaters - cross-overs, SUVs, and minivans - that VW desperately need to get into. So, to dwell on Touareg-sized vehicles at prices higher than the Touareg makes little sense to me.

·
Banned
36,395 Posts
But then, when has VW made sense lately?
Uhh I don't know, really. I mean they are having one best selling year after another. They are obviously doing something wrong here:facepalm:.

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
That means they will become an American car, right? So Audi, Porsche, and VW crossoevers won't be German cars anymore?
Pete, this is no different than the fact that they are already producing cars in many different countries. The new Passat will be built in the Chattanooga plant. The Jetta is built in Mexico, the Tourareg in Slovakia, the Scirocco and Eos in Portugal, etc. Audi builds the TT in Gyor, Hungary, and has production facilities all over the place.

Just because a VW or Audi (or Porsche for that matter, the Boxster is built in Finland) isn't built buy a bunch of guys named Hans wearing lederhosen doesn't somehow magically make it less "German," or a worse car or something.

-Tim

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,855 Posts
Just because a VW or Audi (or Porsche for that matter, the Boxster is built in Finland) isn't built buy a bunch of guys named Hans wearing lederhosen doesn't somehow magically make it less "German," or a worse car or something.-Tim
I don't think anyone from Niedersachsen is going to appreciate a Bavarian working in Wolsfburg either... :laugh:

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
Pete, this is no different than the fact that they are already producing cars in many different countries. The new Passat will be built in the Chattanooga plant. The Jetta is built in Mexico, the Tourareg in Slovakia, the Scirocco and Eos in Portugal, etc. Audi builds the TT in Gyor, Hungary, and has production facilities all over the place.

Just because a VW or Audi (or Porsche for that matter, the Boxster is built in Finland) isn't built buy a bunch of guys named Hans wearing lederhosen doesn't somehow magically make it less "German," or a worse car or something.

-Tim
I hate, hate, HATE to appear to defend Pete here, but TCL did rip BMW and Mercedes for their American plants and there is a lot of "Mexican Jetta" hate. It is slightly hypocritical that VW/VAG is magically some sort of industrial genius now for being a few years behind the curve.

$.02

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,855 Posts
I hate, hate, HATE to appear to defend Pete here, but TCL did rip BMW and Mercedes for their American plants and there is a lot of "Mexican Jetta" hate. It is slightly hypocritical that VW/VAG is magically some sort of industrial genius now for being a few years behind the curve.

$.02
Well, VW tried it out back in the 80's... well before BMW and MB.

Not sure if that's a good thing.

·
Banned
4,099 Posts
It was a joke because not more than a few days ago people were telling me the X5 is American, the Regal German, and other examples. We argued about the cars company of origin.

I said that where the HQ is is indicative of the cars country of origin, not the location of its assembly. Parts for cars come from all over the world and are assembled all over the world so it would be inconsistent to say that the country of origin is the cars assembly location because it has various locations for assembly.

I know the VW/Audi/Porsche cars are German cars regardless of where they are built. I was joking.

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts

$.02
Oh, I know all of that. Personally, I think it's great that a lot of companies are building production facilities here now. VW is definitely a little late to the party on that one, but it's good to see them doing it, and doing it whole hog now that they are.

-Tim

·
Registered
44,818 Posts
Uhh I don't know, really. I mean they are having one best selling year after another. They are obviously doing something wrong here:facepalm:.
They've got less than 2% of the US market, so yes, they are doing something wrong - here.

·
Banned
16,654 Posts
I don't think they're stupid enough to allow another Westmoreland situation. Especially if the Audi and Porsche brands are in on it this time.

They are late to the party, but I'm not going to argue about more manufacturing jobs in the US. Better late than never.

The SUVs probably make up a larger percent of each brand's total sales in this market than any other. Makes more sense to build them here rather than say, a Golf, or A8.

·
Banned
16,654 Posts
In the US, they are always late to whatever it is they are doing.
I don't see there being a market outcry demanding the Germans build their expensive luxury SUVs in the US. It is purely a financial move.

The Passat is another story.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts