• It's more sexier VW ID.4

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Neither, it's more UNRELIABLE VW ID.4

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • How 'BOUT NO, Audi

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I love it. Take my money!!!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Hey Uber, where's the LOL WATT option?

• Now this is THE gamechanger EV!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
The ID.5 has pretty much the same cargo capacity as the ID.4 There is almost no compromise for its shape.
Only because the cargo capacity on both is measured to the top of the rear seatback, not counting the 'air space' above the seatback that would allow unsecured cargo to shift forward in an accident. Practically, you can fit more in the ID.4, but for certification purposes you can't unless there's a barrier to secure it.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,881 Posts
Only because the cargo capacity on both is measured to the top of the rear seatback, not counting the 'air space' above the seatback that would allow unsecured cargo to shift forward in an accident. Practically, you can fit more in the ID.4, but for certification purposes you can't unless there's a barrier to secure it.
Very rarely does one utilize the space above the cargo shelf. Even so, the ID.5 gets pretty close to the ID.4 because its a little longer.

These fastback SUVs like the ID.5, EV6, I5, Mach-E and Model Y are getting to be the norm and not the exception. So the customer has clearly accepted the form factor.

·
Registered
‘22 Ford Mach e, ‘12 Mercedes E550 convertible
3,275 Posts
Very rarely does one utilize the space above the cargo shelf. Even so, the ID.5 gets pretty close to the ID.4 because its a little longer.

These fastback SUVs like the ID.5, EV6, I5, Mach-E and Model Y are getting to be the norm and not the exception. So the customer has clearly accepted the form factor.
I have a Mach E and we've already run into multiple instances where boxy items that wouldn't hit a square shape hit the sloping glass that's there purely for aesthetics.

I never have understood the rush for a larger, heavier, less dynamically capable form (SUV), that you then take away the one thing in it's favor, the cargo capacity.

If I wanted a less usable space I'd just get a sedan or liftback and save the 500-1000lbs that the SUV form weighs. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
A couple CUVs
3,089 Posts
Drove a $62k Q4 e-tron today. Looks and drives like you'd think if you were expecting a Q3 to SWB Tiguan/ Q4 e-tron to ID.4 AWD relationship.

I don't think it gives up anything on quality or features to the Q3 so if you think that's worth the ~$45k msrp they charge for a well-equipped Q3 model, this is worth a $10k "EV" tax IMO. Eclipsing $60k is starting to be a stretch, but supply will be so low it doesn't really matter. I liked the car but wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,881 Posts
I have a Mach E and we've already run into multiple instances where boxy items that wouldn't hit a square shape hit the sloping glass that's there purely for aesthetics.

I never have understood the rush for a larger, heavier, less dynamically capable form (SUV), that you then take away the one thing in it's favor, the cargo capacity.

If I wanted a less usable space I'd just get a sedan or liftback and save the 500-1000lbs that the SUV form weighs. Makes no sense.
But you bought a Mach-E

·
Registered
160 Posts
Drove a $62k Q4 e-tron today. Looks and drives like you'd think if you were expecting a Q3 to SWB Tiguan/ Q4 e-tron to ID.4 AWD relationship.

I don't think it gives up anything on quality or features to the Q3 so if you think that's worth the ~$45k msrp they charge for a well-equipped Q3 model, this is worth a $10k "EV" tax IMO. Eclipsing $60k is starting to be a stretch, but supply will be so low it doesn't really matter. I liked the car but wouldn't buy one.
Went to look at the Q4 today, apparently we aren't "Audi" people. Receptionist "didn't know" if they had a Q4 to look at but if I talked to a sales person they might know. Two couples came in while we were standing there waiting and asked it they had a Q4. The receptionist told them there was a wait but the Q4 test dirves were being done out of the Service department. We walked back to the service department and they wouldn't let us in, the receptionist needed to clear us first, so we left. Went next door and drove a Taycan instead.

·
Registered
A couple CUVs
3,089 Posts
Went to look at the Q4 today, apparently we aren't "Audi" people. Receptionist "didn't know" if they had a Q4 to look at but if I talked to a sales person they might know. Two couples came in while we were standing there waiting and asked it they had a Q4. The receptionist told them there was a wait but the Q4 test dirves were being done out of the Service department. We walked back to the service department and they wouldn't let us in, the receptionist needed to clear us first, so we left. Went next door and drove a Taycan instead.
Yeah, it was a bit of a frenzy around the one Q4 that just came in, but that sounds kind of weird.

It was interesting the number of cars in stock right now missing common options because of chip shortages. Sales manager explained that Audi decided to send cars missing stuff like Blind spot and Adaptive Cruise instead of not send cars at all. He also told us that pricing is terrible and that what most current lease customers are doing is taking trade equity into new purchases instead of leases.

Drove a new SQ5 today too. Handling, braking and sound were great. I'm not super impressed with the ZF8 in the car. Didn't really feel any quicker than the Q4 and only marginally quicker than the regular Q5 with the dual clutch.

·
Premium Member
13,065 Posts
Damn that's surprising about the SQ5. I need to drive some DCT + V6T Audis

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
A couple CUVs
3,089 Posts
Damn that's surprising about the SQ5. I need to drive some DCT + V6T Audis

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent vehicle and fits the typical "S" mold for Audi. I think it's not as edgy as the AMG-lite and M-lite cars, and was never intended to be. I also am not in the camp of despising all modern 4-banger turbos. I think the setup in the pre-refresh Q5 is a good one and bet the current mild hybrid one in the post refresh is even better. Also being open to getting an EV any time, sound is not very important. The SQ5 powertrain is probably more impressive on the Autobahn than it is keeping it < 85 mph.

I wouldn't ever fault anyone for paying the $10-$15k premium for the SQ5 over the Q5 45 model, but it's more like a $20-$25k premium over what we paid for our 2019 Q5 so upgrading now to the SQ5 wouldn't make sense to me. If were going up the ladder on price, I want something new and different.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sounds like you went to Rusnak.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
15,515 Posts
I just checked out a demo Q4 e-tron at my local dealer and here's some thoughts as someone who leased an ID.4 for 15 months.

The exterior is nice looking, but the grill is weird and plasticky and bad. Dark wrap or plastidip could help a bunch. The interior is much more normal than the ID.4. If you've been in a recent Audi, you will feel right at home. It has a few goofy things like capacitive touch sunroof and sunshade controls (the ID.4 had one of these for the sunshade under the fixed glass roof). The steering wheel controls are capacitive but are at least laid out logically (volume is uppy downy on the right). All of the guts are straight out of the ID.4 except the cluster and infotainment, both of which are a HUGE improvement over the ID.4. The HVAC controls are physical switches which are very pleasing to use (like any recent Audi) and somehow the HVAC module behind the scenes is the same one that the ID.4 has, just with a different way of controlling it.

Is it worth $10-15k over an ID.4? Maybe $22.5k now that the non-domestic EV tax credit has expired? I'd say you'd really need to hate the ID.4 and/or love the Audi lifestyle to justify that. That said, I'm glad they are finally here and there's another EV choice in the market.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
A couple CUVs
3,089 Posts
I just checked out a demo Q4 e-tron at my local dealer and here's some thoughts as someone who leased an ID.4 for 15 months.
Assuming that the demo was a 50 model, what did you think about the difference in the drive vs the RWD ID.4? It had been quite a while since I drove the RWD ID.4 so I couldn't remember it that well, but my thought was that handling and initial acceleration were pretty similar.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts