VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing

The Audi R10 TDI powered prototype hit the track today for the first time in the US as Sebring testing commenced for the 2006 ALMS season. This car is unbelievable. It sounds like nothing I have ever seen or heard before. Its QUIET, really really quiet. It makes no more than a weird hum and whistle as it heads down the track. It sounds almost like a regular stock Viper V10 or something like that would sound going down the highway. The other technical aspects of the car are crazy as well.
However, it was not the fastest car today, the Porsche LMP2 car was fastest even though it ran only a handful of laps as they chased engine issues all day long. More tomorrow.
Here are a few sample photos and you can see a full gallery at http://www.speedarena.com and here is the direct link. http://www.speedarena.com/gall...onday

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (philchris)

I was just doing some research on this car..
5.5 liter V12 producing 650hp and 811 lb-ft. of torque!

The usable powerband is between 3000rpm and 5000rpm.

Being a diesel I understand, but it's so different from everything else in the series.

·
Banned
4,223 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (330R)

Quote, originally posted by 330R »
I was just doing some research on this car..
5.5 liter V12 producing 650hp and 811 lb-ft. of torque!

The usable powerband is between 3000rpm and 5000rpm.

Being a diesel I understand, but it's so different from everything else in the series.

This thing will totally rule the ALMS series.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (marzen)

Quote, originally posted by marzen »

Quote, originally posted by Audi »
However, the main target of the Audi technicians is to reach the reliability level of the R8, which never recorded a single engine failure in the 77 races it has contested to date.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (330R)

Quote, originally posted by 330R »

However, the main target of the Audi technicians is to reach the reliability level of the R8, which never recorded a single engine failure in the 77 races it has contested to date.

To be honest this impresses me more than anything.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (marzen)

Quote, originally posted by marzen »

yeah, maybe. if they can beat porsche. Porsche ran just .1 second behind the R8's pole from last year and had problems. i really think the RS Spyder is just gonna shocke everyone this year. the R10 was 5 seconds off of Porsche's pace today. Maybe they were sandbagging but the fact that Porsche can come that close to the R8's pole time and it was just a test, is the biggest shocker.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (almostjune)

i wonder what milage that hog gets? what if it only needs to stop for fuel 6 times during Le Mans?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (bluerabbit0886)

Yeah the driver is gonna need to pull over much more often though, cause he's gonna have to change his pants every time that 800lbs of torque hits him as he exits a turn.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (.:RDriver)

I think it's great that Audi is doing this. They could've kept running evolutions of the R8s to victory till they got banned, but instead they looked for a new challenge.
If I'm not mistaken, even the R8 hasn't always been the fastest around the track. But it had endurance, which is just what you need for an endurance race. Those that ran faster did so at the expense of reliablility and fuel economy, and that lost them the race. Seems like the Porsche has the same issue.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,060 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (AuForm)

I'm really looking forward to the racing season this year to see the R10. I'm not a huge fan of diesels, but am very interested in new racing technology. Finally something in a high level professional series that is quite different than the competitors (at least in my lifetime).
Does anyone know if Audi has any plans to race other diesel powered cars in a more production based series?

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (almostjune)

Quote, originally posted by almostjune »

yeah, maybe. if they can beat porsche. Porsche ran just .1 second behind the R8's pole from last year and had problems. i really think the RS Spyder is just gonna shocke everyone this year. the R10 was 5 seconds off of Porsche's pace today. Maybe they were sandbagging but the fact that Porsche can come that close to the R8's pole time and it was just a test, is the biggest shocker.

They don't have to beat Porsche - the Porsche RS Spyder is in a different class. Audi has to win LMP1 not LMP2. These are endurance racing cars as well, there is alot more to it than having the fastest lap.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Re: Audi R-10 hits the track at Sebring Testing (chandlerGTi)

Quote, originally posted by chandlerGTi »
I was wondering how far along the development was. I saw Champion has their R8 for sale in DuPont.

They have been selling an R8 for years, I've seen one in DuPont, ebay, Race car sales sites for at least 3 years.
BTW the V8 BMW is going to be in that new class in Grand-Am right? only 6-cyl(if any) BMW's in ALMS GT.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.