VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Geriatric Member
14,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Audi released several drawings today of its upcoming Q3 crossover. Based on Audi and the Volkswagen Group's transverse A architecture much like the A3 and TT and will be built at the Martorell Spain plant currently utilized by SEAT. Sources inside Audi have told us that the Q3 will debut at the Shanghai Motor Show later this month alongside an e-tron version of the A3 sedan shown in concept form in Geneva.

Full Story and Released Images

·
Banned
20,046 Posts
stupid crossovers, they serve no purpose...

oh wait, that was before Audi started making them, and back when Lexus invented the market :D
Yes, Lexus= the dumb for having crossovers. Everyone else= the win with theirs:rolleyes::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lexus=stupid copiers who never lead. No they didn't create the luxury crossover

Everyone else= a decade late and that is full of win
:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
18,474 Posts
Yes, Lexus= the dumb for having crossovers. Everyone else= the win with theirs:rolleyes::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lexus=stupid copiers who never lead. No they didn't create the luxury crossover

Everyone else= a decade late and that is full of win
:laugh::laugh:
Lexus crossover? Yawn

First ever real crossover(to me) is the Infiniti FX. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
stupid crossovers, they serve no purpose...

oh wait, that was before Audi started making them, and back when Lexus invented the market :D
I believe the following is the order of introduction, correct me if I'm wrong.

wikipedia.org said:
Mercedes-Benz M-Class is a luxury mid-size sport utility vehicle (SUV), first offered in 1997 as a 1998 model,

The Lexus RX 300 made its sales debut in America in March 1998 as a 1999 model following its premiere at the 1998 North American

The BMW X5 is a luxury crossover SUV introduced in 1999 as the first generation E53.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The M-Class was a body-on-frame "truck" whereas the RX was a car-based luxury crossover.
I'm aware of the construction differences, but the positioning of the product was the first SUV that had car-like driving dynamics, while maintaining offroad capability. In reviews at the time maybe C&D mentioned it felt like driving an S-Class on stilts. Also the X5 which debuted the same year as the RX was unibody construction being loosely based on the 5 series.

Claiming Lexus invented this segment is a stretch when all three came out within a year of each other.

·
Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
44,847 Posts
No Steppenwolf, no care. Audi blew it by not producing that concept in any form; a lower, sportier, more rally car-like small crossover would be a unique entry in the market. I could even see Quattro Concept styling cues, with the wide/short/low thing going on.

The first sketch is a shot in that general direction, but the second sketch just looks like a tiny, slightly more practical X6; the cargo room looks extremely compromised and it's short on character and interest. And, unfortunately, given what we've seen of camo'd testers, it's pretty clear that's what we're gonna get. Lame.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.