VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Geriatric Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Audi has dropped a collection of photos from a recent test at Paul Riccard of the R18 testing with what appears to be full livery paint schemes. Interestingly, there's more than just the different access colors if these are the final paint schemes as cars like the #3 above seem to have more silver and less exposed carbon than cars like the #1 shown below.

You'll also note the use of the 'Audi ultra' nomenclature on the car. This new term is being pushed by Audi to signify its lightweight engineering.

As mentioned, Audi will return to Le Mans this weekend for the official test on Sunday and will be on the Circuit des 24 Heueres along with Peugeot, Aston Martin and the rest of the competitors who will contest the race in June.

Check out more photos in our photo gallery below.

Photo Gallery

· Registered
Bluestar, XL40
16,241 Posts

· Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GTI, '22 .:R
19,212 Posts
New rule for 2012. The fin addresses some incidences where cars flipped over when they spun at high speeds. The fin prevents the air from traveling across the bodywork during a spin.
In theory yes that's what it's supposed to do, but Peugeot has managed to flip two 908's w/the shark fin attached. One at Paul Ricard flipped over the fence and landed on the adjacent airport taxiway. Not so good. There's investigation going on about what happened there, but suffice to say the evidence is point to the wing being nothing more than a billboard... and UGLY!!!!

As for the new livery.. not bad. I still like the R15+'s for some reason.

· Registered
18,397 Posts
What the... Peugeot flipped with the fin? :screwy: When I first heard of the fin, I thought it was overkill and though the little ridge found on Indycars would do the same job without looking like a$$.

If anything, I'm wondering if the fin would give stability and increase top speed on the Mulsannes.

· Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GTI, '22 .:R
19,212 Posts
Flipped twice in fact. Nic Minassin(sp) was the one I believe that put it over the fence onto the airport taxiway.

Not a lot of details out about what caused it. Obviously some sort of failure and it caught air. I believe Audi and Peugeot are going to get a talking to about the results either at the Test Day this weekend or at the 24hrs.

Either way right off the bat potentially the shark fin is an even bigger joke than just the looks alone would suggest.

ACO appears to still have a flight problem at certain yaw angles even with the stupid fin. I'm also curious if a shark finned car gets nailed by strong crosswinds will that effect stability?

· Registered
4,450 Posts

Yo dawg, we heard u like wearing helmets, so we made the top of yo car look like a helmet, so u could be inside a helmet while wearing yo helmet.

Seriously though, like the Gumpert Apollo, this thing is just ugly-awesome. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.