VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me in advance for lack of pictures, as this was done in haste. We had a TT in the shop today, and I did a quick side by side comparo with a Mk4:
1) The Audi TT wheel bearing housing(spindle) is different from the MK4 GTI in that the vertical distance from the axle to the ball joint is greater. This is definitely the much sought after "drop" spindle. The distance was approx. 1-1.25" greater.
2) The TT wheel bearing housing will be a direct fit to the GTI providing the following:
a) The GTI ball joint is used to mate to the GTI LCA. The TT LCA balljoint has a different bolt pattern
b) The GTI tie rod ends are inverted to that they bolt in from the bottom like the TT as opposed from the top as it comes from the factory.
This mod will allow for greater lowering with less compromise to the suspension geometry.
More info later......I'm beat.
-Mike P

Modified by tyrolkid at 4:37 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Audi TT Spindle vs. Mk4 GTI.....comparison notes (tyrolkid)

I figured with all the interest in the H2Sport drop spindle that never came to fruition that this topic would light up. I guess not.....

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Part#s
Bearing housing Left 8N0407255B $250
Bearing housing right 8n0407256B $250
Wheel bearing kit(x2) 1j0498625 $55
Tie Rod End Left 8N0422811A $65
Tie Rod end right 8N0422812A $65

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

awesome, another project on my list http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,430 Posts

Mike, what is the impact of changing these parts with the existing front swaybar (I have a 337)? Can it still be used? In the TT the swaybar attaches to the strut housing, but I have H&R dunebuggy c/o's that I don't want to change, so this is not an option for me. TIA http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Audi TT Spindle vs. Mk4 GTI.....comparison notes (GTItraveler)

You can use the existing front swaybar as you are not changing the LCAs....I have a set on the way......I hope it works

·
Registered
132 Posts

NICE!!! I've been waiting for someone to do this! It'd be better than using aftermarket parts if it works too. Do you see any disadvantages to doing this (other than ride height). Will it put extra stress anywhere?
Thanks!
Zam

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Audi TT Spindle vs. Mk4 GTI.....comparison notes (zambien)

Ride height should not change.
Alignment will be necessary.
Again, this is in the experimentation phase. Don't be stupid and buy these things(like I just did)...
it might not work

Installation will vary depending on whether you install used spindles with good bearings, or go from scratch. I'm estimating 3.5-4.5 labor hours.
-Mike P

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

In my conversations with H2Sport, they found that during their test phase of the spindle, that the altered geometry couple with the new connection points, necessitated other componenets to be modified. They didn't say what. Any insight?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Audi TT Spindle vs. Mk4 GTI.....comparison notes (3wheelinWolf)

Quote, originally posted by 3wheelinWolf »
In my conversations with H2Sport, they found that during their test phase of the spindle, that the altered geometry couple with the new connection points, necessitated other componenets to be modified. They didn't say what. Any insight?

I guess I'll find out the hard way next week.....

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

Great news Mike, I'm glad you took it and ran with it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Audi TT Spindle vs. Mk4 GTI.....comparison notes (9VW23yrs)

Quote, originally posted by 9VW23yrs »
Great news Mike, I'm glad you took it and ran with it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

My bank account sure isn't happy though....ROFL

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

So true! guess need to start looking around at the salvage yards in town ... but if it works it should pay off nicely doing conversions...

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
Re: Audi TT Spindle vs. Mk4 GTI.....comparison notes (9VW23yrs)

yeah i cant wait for the results, like mike said everyone is all over these h2 sport drop spindles, which seemingly will never make it to the market in our lifetime, and yet, we have a possible OEM solution to the problem for way less than what the drop spindles are supposedly going to go for yet, there seems to be minimal interest?!??????? i cant understand it. Mike i'm sure you'll keep us posted......
PS mike how are those k-mac camber things working out. still POS or what?

Modified by Banditt007 at 9:06 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

Now if we switch to the TT spindle, will TT struts fit the Golf?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Re: Audi TT Spindle vs. Mk4 GTI.....comparison notes (Banditt007)

Quote, originally posted by Banditt007 »
there seems to be minimal interest?!???????

Probably plenty of interest, but lots of people prefer to lurk...I've already got this thread on e-mail notification myself...

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Will existing coilovers need to be adjusted or reinstalled? How much lower can you go with this mod (without compromising handling, of course)?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts