VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi...I wish to put an Audi/VW 3.2 VR6 and 6-speed DSG into a 2004 VW New Beetle.
The engine in the Beetle now is a 1.8T and 4-speed 01m.
My car is also Right-Hand Drive (RHD).
I was thinking of getting a Mk1 (8N) Audi TT 3.2 VR6 Quattro with DSG complete car
from the UK for drivetrain conversion.
I am in Australia....and UK cars are also (RHD).
No VW Mk4 platform come with the 3.2 VR6 24v and DSG 4 motion in my country...only manual transmission.
I do not care for full manual transmission cars...so plz don't try sell me on that idea,and I like auto or DSG cars.
Will my idea work?
On the technical side...and not from the cost or legality issue perspective is what I wish to know.
I thought getting a whole car (that is also RHD) for the swap will simplify things...hopefully it will work?
Also wondering if a VF Engineering Mk4 R32 Golf (Stage 2) Supercharger Kit will fit on a VW New Beetle with 3.2 VR6?
The front fender shape at the top kind of 'cuts the corner' of the bonnet hole...compared to the straight top fender
line and bonnet hole of the Mk4 Golf.
Anybody know if the VF kit has been done or tried before on a 1998-2011 New Beetle with VR6?
I was thinking of a HPA 3.2 VR6 Supercharger or Turbo Kit...but I was told that the Australian ECU's are
like the UK ones...and different settings plus emissions or whatever to USA ECU's.
Apparently this makes USA software for Audi/VW not always work properly...and can cause problems?
So for this reason the HPA Software for their kits may not be 100% compatible with Australian ECU's ?
Is this wrong?...hoping to find out more.
Giac Software is from the United States...but Giac have had dealers here many years,and they're software is fine on our Australian cars now (maybe over the years they refined it to work here?).
I've had Giac X plus software in my 2004 VW Beetle1.8T now a long time...and it's been very reliable and without fault.
The VF Engineering Mk4 VR6 Kit comes with Giac Software...and the kit is offered by one of my local Giac dealers.
So I was thinking of this idea if the VR6 conversion works?
There is also a 380HP turbo kit from JBS Designs in the UK made for RHD model cars and sofware I am looking into.
Any turbo or supercharger fitting/adapting would come later after the Beetle was running with the stock 3.2 VR6 first with no bugs.
Any helpful input from anyone plz?...thanx!:)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It will work. DSG came stock in late-model TDI NB's so the OEM parts are all there, it's just up to you to find the right combination.

The supercharger kit will not fit if you want to keep your headlights. One thing I've considered for my 3.2 NB is buying the CarliciousParts MK5 SC kit which mounts the SC on the opposite side and then work backwards from there. It should bolt up fine and more than likely your battery will be relocated to the trunk anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you get to keep air-con with 3.2 VR6 into VW New Beetle...or does pump have to go for fitting space?
Also...what engine mounts for New Beetle?...Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 VR6 mounts work? or VW Golf Mk4 3.2 VR6 mounts?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Air con is deleted in my car. The NB has no upper grille for cooling so direct airflow to the rad is probably a good idea. I'm running VF Engineering poly mounts to keep the engine in place. It's a very tight fit:

The stock fans wouldn't fit either, we had to use slim fans:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow...such a tight fit !!!

Use a certain slim fan set? or any is okay?

Advice on no upper radiator cooling aside...could you have run a/c (like will pump fit),or you just chose not to?

Appreciate advice,pic's,and effort...thanx!:)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
My car was an 8v 2.0T for a long time so I deleted the AC a long time ago for the intercooler to fit. I don't miss it though. I'm not sure if the AC pump would fit or not. If you do fit it I'd look into the R32 aux rad and mount it in the stock SMIC location.

Any slims should work, these were just ones from the local autoparts store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.