VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Cabriolet with no stereo system and it is missing the speakers on the front doors. My boys have been bugging me to put a stereo in the car, so I am finally breaking down.
I have a Sony head unit on the way, but I still need to get speakers. Crutchfield's website says that the front speakers should be 4x6 speakers--but when I look at the opening where the speakers used to be it is round.
Anyone know what size speakers I should be getting?
Thanks,

· Registered
278 Posts
omfg. i dont even wanna talk about the audio in my car.
i had SO much trouble. previous owners did a hax job on it, or something.
it was such a mess, that i lost 4 fuses in the process of installation. also, my stereo can be turned on without the key in the ignition, and the door chime works, even when the keys not in the ignition. !!!!!
meh. it doesnt bug me as much as i make it seem.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Re: (purehypeballer)

There's no accessory position. You can change it I guess, since the PO hooked my head unit up so that the car has to be on, but there have been a few times where I actually WANTED the car off...

· Registered
391 Posts
Re: (FissionMailed)

If you dont want the radio to turn on without the key in the ignition, you can wire it operate via a "key in" method. I have mine working this way. The radio automatically turns on when you insert the key. It sounds like the PO did a little funky work with it though, since your buzzer comes on even without the key in the ignition. It shouldent be doing that, so maybe try to fix that first. I forget what wire supplies power with key in, but somebody else would know.
Good luck,
Ben

· Registered
443 Posts
Re: (Benjiboy_01)

Connect a wire from the Su terminal of the ignition switch to the Accessory wire of your stereo harness -- will only turn on with the key in the ignition and will turn off upon removal. Doesn't need to be in the "on" position.
Don't '91+ have the Aktiv sound system? Isn't that a bit more work to replace stuff on than a non-Aktiv?
ie., removing the entire old stereo system?

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts
Re: (Legoguy)

Activ amps are in the front speakers, not considered repairable. Rear speakers are ordinary, Nokia made I think.
Activ head units have "special" line level outputs to the speakers, they also have ordinary amplified outputs that are unused in Activ configuration.
In the pics below, the Activ plug is the bottom, abandon that and run new wires to all four speakers like a new installation, abandon or remove the Activ wiring, wire speakers to the center plug.
Install your choice of 5 1/4" fronts, 4" x 6" rears.
Activ head units also use a "special" antenna connector, adapters are available for connecting a standard antenna plug, about twice the price of a simple antenna.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.