VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

38281 - 38288 of 38288 Posts

·
Registered
22,724 Posts
I grew up in NoVa.

Anyway, it's very different here. Very, very.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Vw Rabbit
727 Posts
Just moved to Bastrop from San Antonio in January and work in La Grange. Bought my 3rd mk5 in March(after I had to sell my 1st about 5 years ago and my 2nd got totalled about 4 years ago) and starting off on the fixing and modding. Used to live near Detroit mi and in/near Lexington ky where I had more “car friends” and lots of meets, over here I have 0 anybody, just my wife and son. And this COVID thing is putting a serious wrench in any car meet plans.

So far replaced the broken breather valve, removed the vacuum pump because it was leaking like a sieve,
replaced seized alternator pulley, and replaced coils and plugs. Also have a set of axles to install since my boots are ripped. And need to replace my seized and broken rear wiper.

Just got the car UM tuned at a shop in austin(took 9 weeks, never going back there again), and currently on the lookout for a good used upgrade intake and exhaust. Have a line on a new magnaflow exhaust and injen intake from a friend who can get me his shop discount, but I’d rather try to help out somebody get rid of extra parts and pay less in the process(specially if local).

Also looking for somebody with vagcom or obd11 to do some coding(Windows up/down w remote and, drls off and 1 button unlock). I can supply lunch and/or a 🍺sixer🍺 to make up for your time.

So far my mods are autotech billet dogbone insert, power flex trans mount insert, vacuum pump delete kit, R8 red coils, euro headlight switch have a set of convex mirrors in the mail(coming from China...see them in a few months...). Also have an underdrive pulley to install when I get some time to find the belt it needs and install them, a set of GLI brake caliper brackets that I need to buy the pads and rotors for. Like I mentioned it’s UM tuned and soon will be getting an intake and exhaust to go with the tune.

Future plans are upgrade head unit(want Bluetooth), change wheels and upgrade suspension. Can’t go too low because I work at place where I get to off-road all day(dirt, gravel, coal, mud, etc all day), so slammed won’t fly. I wish I could get some ST coilovers like my last mk5 but they would be too low for me now on the tallest setting.

Anyway I’m in a white 08 rabbit 2door hope to meet somebody into vws around here soon.

·
Registered
22,724 Posts
Your best bet, where you are, is to get your own obd11 and become self reliant. This place is very slow. Then find all the groups on FB. There are several, and since don't like others lol.

I noticed you posted previously about the car getting flashed.

AS I previously stated, the 2.5 doesn't get a ton of gains in the NA configuration. Add a big aftermarket intake manifold, intake system, long tube headers and a cat back and you'll barely make 200whp iirc.

Also, very few people support the NA 2.5 anymore.

Pay to play, choose 2:

Fast
Reliable
Cheap

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Vw Rabbit
727 Posts
Yea I know, it’s not my first time around mk5s...like I said, owned 3. They’re not really fast or cheap(VW/euro curse), but quite reliable(with proper maintenance).

Unfortunately it doesn’t really matter anymore(for now), 2 days before New Year’s around 2am it got totalled. I was driving home from work after a rain and some winds and a somewhat hilly windy highway, and I ended up sliding off the road on a downhill curve and slid down the wire median. No fun. I was alone in the car, I’m fine, the car was a mess(airbag out, broken windows, missing bumper, headlight and fender, 2 flat tires, broken axle and engine cradle etc etc etc). There’s pictures on one or 2 of the other threads I frequented. I can put up a link later if anybody interested.

Bought a “new to us” car which my wife drives and inherited her Scion xB which is already starting minor mods just like the rabbit was.

Now I have to find a scion community or a “cars in general” community...still hard to find in these Covid times. O well.

·
Registered
22,724 Posts
I'm down for a dick measuring game.

Let's do this.

·
Registered
22,724 Posts
Occasionally

38281 - 38288 of 38288 Posts