VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pseudo write-up of retrofitting an auto-dimming mirror + rain sensor and Homelink visor.
The most difficult part was, as usual, getting to the CEC. Other than that, the other frustrations were that the mirror base + polyurethane adhesive look tacky from the outside because this windshield did not have the ceramic plating to accommodate the rain sensor/mirror base. Both versions of windshields are the same price, so when mine becomes abused by falling rocks, I’ll change it then.
As a bonus, I discovered that the sensor also acts as a light sensor (though not sure whether it is the mirror or the rain sensor that adds this functionality). I already had the Euro Auto Headlight Switch from a prior fog-lamp install, so this worked out well. However, I do not understand how this light sensor works with cars equipped with a sun sensor on the dash as well. Are they supposed to work in tandem? Perhaps one of you may know the answer to that.
Parts were sources from eBay, the local VW dealer and from the Vortex classified sections. A good set of PDF instructions can be found here on the first post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2626178
List of Parts:
1X 4B0-971-833 HOUSING (Female Harness Connector)
1X 1C0-973-119 HOUSING (Female Harness Connector)
2X 000-979-009 WIRE SET (Trigger Wires)
3X 000-979-018 WIRE SET (Trigger Wires)
1X 1K0-955-559-R RAINSENSOR
1X 1K0-857-593—71N CONDUIT (Lower Piece Wire Conduit)
1X 1K5-857-304—71N TRIM (Headliner Connector)
1X DA-004-600-A2 2K GLUE (Holding Plate Glue) –READ BELOW
1X 1K0-845-543 PLATE (Rain/Light Sensor Mounting Plate)
1X 1K0-857-511-B-9B9 MIRROR (Auto-Dimming Mirror)

The only different part I got from this list was the 2K Polyurethane glue, which was smaller in size and cheaper at $30, instead of $50. The part number for this is D 180 KD2 A1.
I also did not need the CONDUIT listed above. Note, my mirror has been installed lower than it’s supposed to be because the windshield was previously broken.
The pictures below are quite self-explanatory, in supplement to the PDF documentation above.

My Rain Sensor is the older type.

The Mirror Base.

Wires & Connectors all connected.

Ground taken from here under the Interior Lights

This is the connector for the Homelink Visor. The connector is the old visor, but I had to get another one because the latch on this was broken when yanking the wiring from the roof. You have to pull hard to remove it, as it seems to be designed this way; the connector is slid into a trough of some kind inside the roof. The red wire seen here goes to the fuse box for a 12 volt Switched source. The blue and brown both connect to the existing connector’s red and brown for positive and ground respectively.

This was an absolute PITA to get the connector to slide back into the roofline. Had to drop the headliner in this area for the connector to slide in properly.

Behind the Driver’s side fuse-box. The blue taps shown are tapping into 12 volt Switched. For 12 volt constant, the top left-most red wire was used.

Wires coming out of the headliner to the windshield.

The 2K Polyurethane glue.

Water sprayed on after the wiper control stalked moved up one level and VAG COM used to tell the car that it has a rain sensor. Everything works as intended, and the sensor does not appear to be too overzealous in sensitivity. Because there is no ceramic plate attached to the windshield, the install looks tacky from the outside. Also note my broken glass.

Also notice the entire assembly is too low on the windshield. There should be no wires showing; the black housing around the mirror should be almost touching the headliner.

Modified by jambo1 at 7:34 PM 3-30-2008

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Auto Dimming Mirror & Rain Sensor & Homelink Visor Install (jambo1)

Great job and thanks for sharing! I was already looking into it as well and this is yet another pusher for me to do it. I wouldnt say that the glue looks tacky at all, the bloken glass does, was that the reason why its sitting relatively low?
Thanks for the writeup http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Auto Dimming Mirror & Rain Sensor & Homelink Visor Install (marsue)

Sure thing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif You'd still have to install yours lower like the way I have done only because you'd have a round ceramic plate where your existing mirror base is stuck to....unless you can somehow remove this ceramic plate.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Re: (rbradleymedmd)

Very well done and an excellent writeup. I had contemplated this when i purchased mine but then decided to go with an aftermarket autodimming mirror (with temp/uv sensor) mainly due to the cost
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,818 Posts
Re: (passatfan2006)

Nice writeup... though I HATE my rain sensor. The damn thing works like it has turrets syndrome. Why even have a different wiper modes from intermittent to constant fast, when the rain sensor over rides everything?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote, originally posted by jambo1 »

As a bonus, I discovered that the sensor also acts as a light sensor (though not sure whether it is the mirror or the rain sensor that adds this functionality). I already had the Euro Auto Headlight Switch from a prior fog-lamp install, so this worked out well. However, I do not understand how this light sensor works with cars equipped with a sun sensor on the dash as well. Are they supposed to work in tandem? Perhaps one of you may know the answer to that.

Duh, figured this out myself...It's the Sensor and not the mirror; by switching off the mirror, the light sensor within the rain sensor still controls the headlights.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi all,
I have all needed parts and I am ready to replace the factory fitted with the auto dimming mirror that has the light/rain sensor in its base but I am not sure about wirings. I wander if the above guide covers as well VW Golf 5/Jetta and moreover about the connections to the fuse-box. Instead of getting power from any available wire near the mirror Is there any way to place an additional fuse to the fuse box?
Costas

Modified by costas_ at 12:56 AM 3-14-2009

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Nice, if I ever have some leftover money I will sure attempt this.
BTW, as far as I know, the sun sensor on the dash is used only by the automatic climate control, it uses that thing to estimate how much cold air is needed to cool the vehicle to the set temperature (sun on your windows is probably the most "heating" factor for the vehicle). There is also another unit in the vehicle (I forgot what it is) that works with this system as well.
So the light sensor in the mirror should control the headlights by itself.

I am wondering, did you switch on the auto sunroof closing when rain is detected? does it work properly with this setup?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.