VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I have a 1984 cabriolet thats an automatic. i want to put a 5 speed or a 4 speed in it. i have a tranny from an 1991 jetta and one from a 1981 rabbit diesel. what parts do i need? and do i have to change drive shafts wires or any poop like that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: Auto to 5 or 4 Speed conversion (fast8vvw)

I changed my '84 Cabby 5 speed over to automatic - almost as easy. You can use your driveshafts, but if you have power steering you will have to check the steering rack - it may not have the bolt holes for the shift linkage - if not, replace it. You will also have to replace the pedal assembly to accomidate the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Auto to 5 or 4 Speed conversion (Junkman)

Thanks.
But will A2 jetta parts worlk with an A1 engine?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

if not i have a perfect 4 speed tranny out of an a1.......... completely working gti gears.........

·
Registered
479 Posts

When you factor in the amount of work that needs to be done, and that you'll need some fabrication, and the time it will take, and the potential problems that can arise if anything just a tad wrong, you're better off just buying a car that came as a standard. Especially when you're talking about an older car, you would be able to sell yours and find a standard that is at least as good and end up spending far, far less than a tranny swap would.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Re: Auto to 5 or 4 Speed conversion (BCampbell)

My rabbit is an automatic and it's gonna be 5spd very soon once I put the car back together. Nothing hard about it just make sure you grab all the 5sp components from onec ar to make life easier and voila....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts