VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you notice I am not new to the MK3, I have taken everything apart multiple times including my lovely auto tranny so no: use the search button crap. I looked at many posts where people hack apart the auto tranny wiring to get the manual tranny stuff to work. My question is, can I swap out the auto harness junk, and get a manual wiring harness so it is plug and play, and what do I need to swap? I have most everything to do this, minus the axles and clutch/flywheel stuff. I want to see if i can make this a perfect oem swap. What do you guys know about this. Any input is helpful (P.S. I read cyclopath's post 20 times)

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Re: Auto to 5 speed wiring harness swappage? (wikedphil)

I pulled most of the auto wiring out. But there's no need to. Infact, one of the 2 wire connectors conveniently fits onto the reverse switch on the manual transmission. Locate and splice into the backup light wires (part of the park to start relay) and it functions just like OEM. I'll throw some pictures up for you.

·
Registered
15,518 Posts
Re: Auto to 5 speed wiring harness swappage? (Cyclopath)

yea the vss is not on the auto harness. cut back from the pug he was saying and tuck the rest under the battery tray

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Re: Auto to 5 speed wiring harness swappage? (EvilVento2.oT)

Started pulling all the auto stuff out. And then I started to get worried I might be taking too much out. So I stopped.

These are the main wires from the auto transmission. 6 pin connector I shorted 1-3 and 4-6 with paperclips to make sure they bi-passed the park to start system. This is a must for the car to start. Then I cut and connected the wires under the dash.

The white and yellow wire is a perfect fit for the reverse connector on the transmission switch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the input guys. I am just worried that when i tackle this project it may be too much. Gonna take a week off this summer to go for it. What happens with the ignition lock that the auto has so you cannot take your keys out when its not in park? Any other tips would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][I]Quote, originally posted by [B]wikedphil[/B] »[/I][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: quote"] What happens with the ignition lock that the auto has so you cannot take your keys out when its not in park? Any other tips would be helpful.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Not a problem. I was worried about the same thing. I'm guessing the switch normally is unlocked. And only locks when the cable pulls on it.
The yellow and the white wire can be found under the panel behind the hood open lever. There are 2 sets of wired covered with a black outer coating. The white and yellow wires and the brown and green wires. Cut one. If it's the wrong one, cut the second.
[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/ajkwfl2/stuff/backup005.jpg
Then find the wire that supply the power to the rear backup lights. Black wire with a gray stripe. There's 2 of them. Again, try one and then the other. I got the wrong one first. No harm.

Soldered and capped. (I hate electrical tape. Turns to goo when it gets hot)

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Re: Auto to 5 speed wiring harness swappage? (root beer)

hahahaha. Been laying low since I parted out the Trek and bought my 2 GTIs. MKIIIs are definitely easier to work on, and personally, I like the lines of the MKIII better than all the rest. I will own another again. But there will never be another Get-a Trek.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having trouble getting my car running can you help I have jumper all the wires yiu have said and still nothing I dont know what else to do

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just finished the swap myself on a 96 cabrio what year is your car maybe i can help:) Did you make sure you grounded all the wires back. specifically the big black ground that bolts to the top transmission bolt. Do you have a pic of the wires you jumped pictures can help alot:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.